MKII FE Fuel System

Am building MKII 427 FE with 4 IDA's. Given car won't be used as 'fullup racecar', what would an optimum fuel system look like between tanks and Webers?
Thanx
Mark

I don't know about 'optimum', but the factory fuel system looks like this:

GT40FuelSystem.jpg

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Mark,

You may want to consider a system like I have in P2125 (see pics and description in the SPF Forum under "Upgrades to P2125" and posts of 5/27/08 @ 2:47 and 4:21PM).

Redundant pumps on firewall. Constant supply for either of these pumps pumps is from a swirl tank system in the left sponson. Right and left tank cross connected (SPF standard connection)...fuel supply from low connection of left tank through a LARGE Canton cartridge filter to Carter pump low in sponson...discharge from the sponson pump is into a swirl pot in the sponson that overflows back to the left tank high point return but, keeps the swirl pot full and a constant pressure head on either of the firewall mounted pumps (2 pumps for redundancy...switch between the pumps lets me alternate and or switch to the other if a failure)...decided no need for redundancy in the sponson pump as it operates on less discharge pressure than the firewall mounted pumps and minimal suction head so should age well.

This arrangement keeps a positive head on the firewall pumps (they operate better/longer service life if not needing to create a suction) and most importantly minimizes fuel starvation when low on fuel in a nose down attitude.

Also the large capacity replaceable element Canton filter will minimize clogged filter problems.

Hope this helps.

This system on P2125 now 2+ yrs and 5,000 miles and never a problem.

Steve

How does the attached fuel system look? After going thru many of the variations online, looked like a system something like this mounted under the oil cooler would ensure that the pump lasts since it won't be 'pulling fuel up hill', would always have fuel available given the high volume, would ensure that 3.5 psi goes to the webers, and would keep the cool fuel by recircualting back to the tank.

Although the new roller is sitting in the garage, have not had rear clip off yet to dig into the fuel plumbing that comes wit hthe roller from SPF. Assume the fuel out line is there. Is there a port to add a return line to the tank already there?

Mark

Attachments

• Fuel System.jpg
    Fuel System.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 312

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Fuel tank ins and outs

Mark --

Attached are pictures of the rear of both the LH and RH fuel tanks on P2160. You'll see that the LH tank has AN-8 fittings top and bottom on the inside. Note crossover hose on the outside, hose-clamped, on both tanks. RH tank has no other fittings.

LH fuel tank.jpg

RH Fuel Tank.jpg

Alan.

Last edited:

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Having a fuel pressure issue so I thought I'd just append to this old thread since my setup is very similar to Steve's above except for the redundant pump and I have fuel cells, not tanks.

On my SPF MkI I'm getting inconsistent fuel pressure at the gauge, as high as 6lbs as low as 0lbs while the motor is running. If i disconnect the pre-swirl pot pump the gauge stays steady at 3.5psi. Of course, fuel will run out if the pre-swirl pot pump is not turned on but this seems to indicate the pre-swirl pot pump is causing the inconsistency. Both pumps are operating, ground is good, no voltage drops.

Any suggestions.

Back