The Festival of Sports cars Bathurst.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
A fantastic weekend at Mt Panorama, lots of variety from Mini's to Mustangs, and all in between. Managed to catch up with forum members Flatchat and his lovely "er indoors" who was having a ball punting her Cobra around the mountain, along with Tim (Lotus) and Jason (Porsche).
The highlight was watching Tim and Iain going at it hammer and tongs..Er in their car's that is :embarassed: At the end of the day honours seemed pretty even, with Iain having the grunt and Tim very quick through the twisty bits.
Unfortunately Iain nudged the wall and gave his beautiful GT40 a hair lip. The damage didn't look too bad. I hope I'm right Iain?
Some pictures. 1. A PPP.....2. Iain and Tim at close quarters. 3.Tim. 4. A nice Daytona. 5&6 Yve. (Mrs Flatchat) in her Cobra.

Attachments

• LeMans Porsche002.jpg
    LeMans Porsche002.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 323
  • Bathurst 10032.jpg
    Bathurst 10032.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 914
  • Bathurst 10054.jpg
    Bathurst 10054.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 314
  • Bathurst 10008.jpg
    Bathurst 10008.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 289
  • Bathurst 10065.jpg
    Bathurst 10065.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 299
  • Bathurst 10067.jpg
    Bathurst 10067.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Pete any update on how the other gt40s went lap times etc. I was there on Sunday but not much was happening. Geeeee that porsche GT1 looked good on the track even at pace car speeds.

Darrell DRB
LS1 G50

Thanks for posting the links Stu.
I had a ball at Bathurst. It was my first time ever in a race car there. Thanks to Iain for showing me the way around!! His GT40 is FAST down the long straights!!!! But the Lotus brakes and corners pretty well. Its a very hard track to get right. Lots of blind faith at turn-in points.
The race in the video was a close finish: 0.2 seconds
NATSOFT Race Result

Unfortanately, sundays race, which was a real corker for a few laps, the video had a brain failure and we got nothing.

Last edited:

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Tim,
you just need bigger ones !!! and remember that the one on the right is the accelerator -:)

I have done the odd lap or two around bathurst and it is a demanding track but oh so sweet if you master it as very few have done ( I am not one of them I was 5sec slower than last year!!)

You should be well pleased with your times for first time on the track well done.

You're not wrong Trevor. You can see time to be made right across the hill in the video. I passed Iain at skyline on sunday and was able to pull enough of a gap that i got him under brakes at the Chase. The battle was getting very interesting until Iain ran into problems.
But, being a newbie, and coming from a diabolical weekend previous at the Grand Prix, i was 100% bringing the Lotus home straight!!
I have a deeper respect than ever for the guys that drive Mount Panorama at 10 tenths. I am now officially hooked. Can't wait for next year.....

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
Tim,
yes there was a bit of feathering going on across the top.

left foot braking going down the wiggly bits is a plus - also scary but quick

not the place to use it if not proficient at left foot braking though !!

You can see that it is up the hill across the top and down the wiggly bits is where time is made or lost.

A great track that has frightened many an "international" driver

They are Hella Part number 1029-12V and 1030-12V low beam and high beam. They are only 85mm in diameter.They work well on my DRB.

Darrell DRB
LS1 G50

I have videos from all the races which I will edit over the week end and post to you tube next week.

Iain

They are Hella Part number 1029-12V and 1030-12V low beam and high beam. They are only 85mm in diameter.They work well on my DRB.

Darrell DRB
LS1 G50
thx, do you also use modern hella rear lights? a lot of low volume sportcar makers(Pagani and Gumpert Apollo and many more) use the LED? hella's, I believe I also saw a GT40 once with those...

thx, do you also use modern hella rear lights? a lot of low volume sportcar makers(Pagani and Gumpert Apollo and many more) use the LED? hella's, I believe I also saw a GT40 once with those...

I used Britax LED tailamps Part Number L14-00-12VL I will try to find my post and give you a link. I has gone missing since the DRB manufactures site was shut down.

Darrell DRB
LS1 G50

Found it
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/drb-gt40s/27217-drb-46-now-road.html

Last edited:
Hi All
Just back in the office after my first attempt at Bathurst, what a blast - the best motorsport event i have done to date. Managed to record a best lap time of 2.41, - Porsche 911 3.6L, (for the record the best time the Porsche Cup cars acheived was 2.27) and put the car back on trailer incident free. GT40 left at home for this one. Pete and Mick, my offer still stands for next year - you have to have a go.
Regards
Jason

I have posted a video of the 3rd race at bathurst ( The same race that Tim M posted last week )

Bathhurst RF 117.wmv (yes this is the way I spelt it on the you tube site D'oh)

Can someone provide the link

Thanks

Iain

Back