Radiator overflow pipe.

Hi guys,

I'm struggling to get hold of a long enough length of Aluminium pipe (10mm) for the overflow pipe that heads through the central tunnel to the water reservoir. My question is this:-

It's easy to get 10mm microbore copper pipe. Is there any issue using copper with a water / antifreeze mix in terms of corrosion, or the copper breaking down and causing issues within the system?
It won't be seen, as I will connect ally pipe from the exits, so there's no issue with aesthestics...

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Graham.

Hi guys,

I'm struggling to get hold of a long enough length of Aluminium pipe (10mm) for the overflow pipe that heads through the central tunnel to the water reservoir. My question is this:-

It's easy to get 10mm microbore copper pipe. Is there any issue using copper with a water / antifreeze mix in terms of corrosion, or the copper breaking down and causing issues within the system?
It won't be seen, as I will connect ally pipe from the exits, so there's no issue with aesthestics...

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Graham.

Hi Graham, hard line fuel pipe it can be got from 3/16 to 1" from speedflow, Andy :thumbsup:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Or Brake type pipe (Even braded flexi pipe)

After all - you only want to bleed off the air and not have a large flow through the overflow

Ian

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Aftermarket aluminum fuel line (smaller sizes) is nice in that it can be easily shaped or bent (up to a limit of course).

HI Try your local Air Conditioner installer, I wish you were state side I'd send you what you need if you could use .375 ID .440 DO as I have a roll of 100 ' approx. aluminum tubing.

Graham, copper pipe is fine to use for both straight water and water/glycol mix. In fact, it should be more resistent to long-term corrosion than the aluminum. And, it's obviously easy to bend as necessary. Of course, reco using appropriate brass fittings onto the ends for proper connections rather than trying to hose clamp a rubber line onto it (w/ or w/o beading). Brazing the connections with silver solder is more durable than simply soldering with lead. Or, with a flaring tool you can use compression fit joints but that's less desirable I think.

Back