GD T70 at the Ring

very fast car, look the speedometer...you think that can't be right but when it passes other cars you see the difference in speed.

gps was used as backup and 177mph recorded so speedo isnt far out. the car was a uk car originally and was built around a 7 litre ls7 with kinslers on it, made 690+bhp and 600ft/lb torque. driver isnt shy either!

i rewatched it last night and the guy is obviously a very good driver, but also caught it lucky on one spot when the car let go, fair play to him for catching it on such a circuit.
awesomely quick car , steve used to own it and had it dynoed at 690bhp and 600ft/lb, it will probably weigh about 900kg or so, not as light as the originals.

great footage!

hi there
mine is complete and runs a 6 litre LS6 from weber race engines in the USA. fully forged etc. was a bargain due to exchange rates at the time, maybe not so now if i had to buy !
what are you doing on yours?

Chris, should be a good choice. Plenty of power. At this time, I am not the best at building a project, I don't have the space, and I want to wait until better times before springing for a new vehicle. I will probably go with an RCR vehicle, but don't know which one I like best as I like them all.

I went for a ride in a GD Cobra a number of years ago and was very impressed by it. I admired the T70 and the 'Ring drive certainly proved it to be a capable machine.

In my garage now is a 1969 911E, which I have owned since 1975.

i've done 160ish in mine on an airfield and the wind blast is pretty horrendous on your helmet if you are tall so god knows what 180mph feels like. makes you appreciate how brave the original drivers were in the 1960's wearing minimal protection and goggles!

bloody hell that´s quick,

I wonder what steve bought after he let go of this one,

I can only begin to imagine what exactly it is I´m building at the moment, WHOOPS
my seven replica used to scare me and the mrs from time to time, I wonder how she will react to the amount of horses I planned for the T70.

driver knows this track also I might ad, exiting the carousell at that speed isn't for the faint harted.

Grtz Thomas

Looking at the numbers of this car I suspect it is the ultimate replica for too many reasons:

1- its a classic t70 short
2- 721 hp from the chevy zr1
3- LSD
4- Gt2 gearshift
5- lighter than any gt 40 known (I think the gd t70 is around 700 kilos)
6- Its a gardner douglas, so the chassis is a ready to race one

Try find out something able to beat this little, with a ready to go (road plated) price lower than 170.000 dollars.
I dont find any, passing from porsche/dauer 962 (cost much more) to ferrari 333 sp (much more and not street legal), to all the modern ones..that I dont consider cause not classic exotic as the little lola is.
Maybe a foreman P4 with an Ultima gtr chassis under the body (and using also here the chevi v8 from the zr1, the most powerful low cost engine around..isnt it?)

I wanna dream for a GT40 faster than this, but is harder, even thinking at Martin's 6 GTD reworked by Frank Catt, that gt has 550 hp..a lot less than 721hp, and surely weights much more than this t70..and the chassis is NOT for real racing, as this modern t70 is..
So maybe we need a Falconer engine (wasnt a V12?) with a T44 gearbox and special ultra modern racing chassis (does any producer sell a real FULL racing purpose chassis?).Still dunno the weight..and if we can do that with less than 170.000 dollars...at today I think such gt40 doesnt exist.

Really hard to beat..try u find one guys......is a challenge :D
Not allowed modern cars...u have to remain in 60/70s (ok..also 80s) ones, streetable and at a price equal or lower than this.

i dont think there is a need for anything faster than this car in all honesty, for doing trackdays/sprints or just road driving its probably as far as you should go!

bergamo dealer is Caterham and GD importer Mythoscars.

he suposedly is the same person that sat the ring record in the Caterham R500.

the GD had been limited in this outing by revs, they need to find out what hapens at higher speeds before they can attempt another run.

Grtz Thomas

I counted a little closer to 7:40, which is mighty quick considering the traffic he had to deal with - he easily lost 3-4 seconds waiting in various places. He also didn't have enough top end gearing.

Back