Video of road test

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have been going over the car most of the week for the up coming race on the 24th at big bend open road race in TX. I installed a couple better DV recorders, not the best but better than before. This is a old road close the the house, its pretty rough but the car felt good. I leveled out at 120.

YouTube - GT40 MK1 road test.wmv

Excellent video. I liked the in-car experience shot being shown at the same time. the car looks like a bundle of fun.

Regards

Cam
Auckland, NZ

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Mike I had the wide angle camera in the vent box which I have closed off and houses all the electronic stuff and the bullet camera velcro'ed to the front window just next to the mirror. There is a problem when driving into the sun the camera on the front window wants to pick up images of the dash below. ??? Do I need some special lens or something?

Cam its a hand full, you have to feather in to the throttle in first and second or you end up with expensive tires left on the blacktop. Thanks

That's fantastic! Sounds great, better than most of the recordings using little bullet cams and the mics that usually come with them. Thanks for posting!

can you let me know what equipment this was recorded with as its very good quality, interested in something similar.
cheers

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
...the camera on the front window wants to pick up images of the dash below. ??? Do I need some special lens or something?

It's not a lens issue but one of isolating the windshield glass that the lens is looking through so that no light can hit it. Best would be some kind of conical or tubular black shround that optically "seals" the front of the camera to the windshield. I would think a carefully fashioned cone of black construction paper would do it. Possibly just a flat piece of something flat black directly under the area of the glass that the lens is looking through. For example a roughly level ~4" square piece of black construction paper taped to the windshield below and in front of the lens, extending back to the camera and taped to it.

Or, more clumsily and temporarily, identify the area of the dash it is seeing and cover that in dark fabric. Sometimes when I've got a running videocam sitting on the dash of a car I can fix all this with a dark-colored jacket.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
It's not a lens issue but one of isolating the windshield glass that the lens is looking through so that no light can hit it. Best would be some kind of conical or tubular black shround that optically "seals" the front of the camera to the windshield. I would think a carefully fashioned cone of black construction paper would do it. Possibly just a flat piece of something flat black directly under the area of the glass that the lens is looking through. For example a roughly level ~4" square piece of black construction paper taped to the windshield below and in front of the lens, extending back to the camera and taped to it.

Or, more clumsily and temporarily, identify the area of the dash it is seeing and cover that in dark fabric. Sometimes when I've got a running videocam sitting on the dash of a car I can fix all this with a dark-colored jacket.

Thanks Alan, I will give that a try for sure!

Guys the video editor I used is something I downloaded from the internet for free for now (see the little add in the center of the video) I think I will buy it, it was pretty easy to use. Its called AVS video software, its the only way I could transform MEG4 to WMP file.
The equipment I got off ebay, its a bullet helmet camera that plugs into a video camera that has a external video audio plug to record any device that has VA output. Its called a JXD portable multimedia player. $80 with 8 gig built in memory. www.jxd.cc I bought 2 of each. There is only one microphone and it is inside the plastic box which is normally the roof vent area on an SPF.

Last edited:
Back