1040 Info On Website

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I am a great admirer of 1040 and actually corresponded with DonS about it when he owned it. I am glad to see that it will be restored!

Doug

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
This is really terrific. This car sat in this area (Maryland) for SO long with nothing being done to restore it. From the other photos of 1040 at Road America, quite a bit has been done and the car must be very far along. It will be great to see the car restored and preserved, the the shop that is the best authority on originality on these cars. Is this the last surviving unrestored Le Mans GT40?

The SAAC book lists Henry Davis (if I've got it right) as the owner. I hope the car is driven and brought to vintage races for all of us to enjoy. And I hope Racing Icons posts more photos of the process; they have a lot to be proud of.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
This is SO cool. Where else could you see anything like this? Look at all the trouble they are going to in order to keep this car authentic. Loud applause...

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Looks like it turned out ' swell ' as they say over there.
I was more than happy to be associated with sourcing original period correct parts and manufacturing exact reproductions for this and other similar projects.
It's deeply satisfying and a damn sight better than sitting watching the crap that's on the TV !

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this great article Jimmy.

Andrew it must make you very proud to be a part of such a remarkable restoration. Now, how much is this machine worth?

With 104 selling last week for $7 million...guesses anyone. $10-12 mill would be my guess.

Lovely car.

I'm just hoping (naively most probably) that the 'Flickr' car is not being passed off as the genuine 1040 by its owner. This sort of thing just seems so disrespectful to all the guys that have worked on and contributed to the restoration of the genuine car (which is a most beautiful beast indeed!). Perhaps the 'Flickr' car has a J W Automotive Ltd chassis plate to match the incorrect rear light clusters...(oh no, I'm just getting all cynical now...time to shut the hell up!)

Thanks Jim & Yves for the info/video.....very interesting.
I have tonight come to a startling conclusion.....genuine production GT40's were actually secretly produced in duplicate by Ford back in the 60's....one for Europe (referred to as Europa models) and one for 'Rest of the World' which we can all now call 'ROTW' models. THIS explains why there are twice as many genuine cars out there now and we therefore have two 1040's. No funny goings on whatsoever so my faith in humanity is completely restored!
Just brilliant how Ford have kept this secret duplicate production hidden from us all for so many years! Can't believe Mr Spain didn't uncover any of this!!!

Great to see that this car has rebuilt, can any one tell me when we can expect to see it hard racing again, I'd really like to see it having a door handle to door handle battle with chassis 104 which is again ready for some hard battling. Some battle scars to some of the paintwork would really enhance the appearance of these cars and get them looking like the race cars that they were intended to be. -- I think not - their only destiny now is to slip into some mundane collection or appear in some magazine adverts for car polish !!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Right, Phil, and let me tell you about some land in the Florida Everglades I'll sell you cheap... I have a bridge, in Brooklyn, NY, that I'll make you a good deal on, too........

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Yes, the original post states that P/1040 was stored for a while with Mr Sbarro! Thats sort of like doing your banking with Mr Ponzi:)

I just can't wait for Ronnies new book!

Last edited:

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Sold Jim. And we can wrap up this superb deal when I'm over stateside next month searching for that GT40 buried under a car park!

I dug it up, beautiful car in its "original" Gulf livery now cause there were 75 or 80 original gulf GT40s as I remember.

Looks a lot like a CAV, but ignore that.

:)

Ron

Just gets better and better...I can come and view the car with you Ron before heading over to see Jimbo to tie up the Florida land and Brooklyn bridge deal. Happy days!

Back