Weber 48 IDA jetting Ford 289cin

I'm in the middle of upgrading my Ford 289 with a Weber 48 IDA carburetor system. Unfortunately the system I bought was used on a Chevy SB and some Jet's went lost.
To complete the system and bring it up & running it would be very interesting for me to know the size of the required jets. Could you please tell me, which one I would need to order?

Today the following sizes are inserted:
Main Jet 170
Emulsion Tube F7
Air Corrector Jet 180
Idle Jet MISSING
Idle Jet Holder MISSING
The Engine is a stroked 289 with a ratio of 10:1 and ~350HP.

To better understand this Weber's it would be very interesting if you could help with some documents or links -> "Weber 48 IDA for Dummy's".:jester:

I would also know from your experience, which Syncrometer you prefer and use for your Weber's?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110511617529&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380218624773&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
or something "hand made" :thumbsup:

Many thanks for your help and best regards

Hi Randy

Many thanks for the link.

Do you've some experience with the different Sync tools? Which one are you using / recommending?
Do you know some links or books, which help a greenhorn understanding this carburetors better.

Regards
Alfredo

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Alfredo,

I've used various sync tools over the years on carbs, but this is the one that seems to work pretty well for me now;

UNIVERSAL CARBURETOR SYNCHROMETER - JCWhitney

G_14219G_SW_1.gif

This is the other one that I have and it works pretty well also - but preference is for the first one;

ACC-C10-7115-2T.jpg

This is a pretty good book;
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Carbure...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271897000&sr=1-1

51FbsXzO6WL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

would you recommend to use one or at least a pair of this sync tools?

Some where it was mentioned, that you should use one as reference (on carb 1) and with the second one moving from one to the other carb (carb 2-8).
Or would this be to much?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Just one does the trick for me.. it reads immediately and there is no perceptible (to the engine) restriction in the tool so it does not change the idle characteristics of the engine.

Hi Randy
I've started to study the functionality of the 48IDA. I learned, that there are three levels:
1. Idle: fuel via idle jet -> idling feed holes - little more gas via Progression holes

2. normal or full: fuel via main jet / emulsion to nozzle inside of the aux ventury

3. Acceleration: fuel via inlet/discharge valve to the piston chamber and via delivery valve to the pump jet

Now I've some questions.
  • Is the fuel always going trough the piston-pump jet part as long you're not driving at full throttle? Is seams to me, that as long the piston chamber is open fuel will pass it.
  • Is this change between 1, 2 or 3 depending on the throttle valves and the vacuum generated on the engine?
Do you've a curve where it can be seen, at which level which system is active?

Sorry for this questions, but your answers will really help me to be sure my understanding is correct.
:idea:
Many thanks

Back