Check those fuel lines....

So, I have a couple other V8 mid-mount engine cars which happen to be particularly prone to lighting themselves on fire in the middle of an intersection while waiting for a green light. Thankfully, no first hand experence with that, and have changed all the fuel hoses to the improved fuel hose offered by Goodyear designed for modern fuel blends: Goodyear® Engineered Products :: Fuel Injection Hose SAE 30R9.

After doing that I went poking around under the clamshell of the GT40 and noticed that the fuel hoses looked pretty "deformed" to say the least (see pic). I think they had shrunk over time....notice the hard kinks and bends. These are stainless sheethed fuel hoses so it's pretty hard to tell if the rubber itself is cracking or obviously failing. However, once off, it was clear the rubber was old and cracking and really just about ready to let the fuel start seeping (if not spraying) out the hose itself. My car is carb'd, so, fuel pressures are pretty low, however, those fuel lines run right by the exhaust manifolds so it wouldn't be any stretch to start a fire in there.

I went to one of our local, and very excellent, hose shops and they made up replacement hoses with a teflon liner designed for modern fuel blends, stainless sheeths, and the proper compression fit ends. A few hundred bucks for all.

So, change those fuel lines, particularly if you're running fuel injection!

Attachments

• GT40 Engine2.jpg
    GT40 Engine2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 353
Totally agree

on fuel lines, teflon hose is the way to go.

also run nice wide loops when you have a bend, to avoid any stress on the tubes ( and therefore cracking of them)

tried to do this in my installation

PICT4167.jpg

PICT4168.jpg

PICT4169.jpg

PICT4171.jpg

TOM

Back