Fuel pump gph / hp support

On a n/a carb setup making around 750RWhp, will an electrical external 150gph (Free flow; 140gph @ 7psi) be sufficient?

My calculations (approximate hp * .23 for deadhead regulator) say no. Holley says it will support up to 900hp (which is kind of vague actually).

I'm just trying to figure out if I should switch to an A1000 or not. The A1000 is better than my Holley Billet 150gph pump, no question, but it'd also involve me re-doing almost my entire fuel setup :(

I would be cautious about using a deadhead setup ( If thats what you have & are trying to avoid going to full loop with return ), a by-pass return or full loop with restricted return keeps fresh cool fuel going thru the pump rather than just recirculating in the pump housing particularly at lower engine speeds/power levels.
We had pump problems a couple of years back due to this & the pump got sooo hot that it would lock up- let them cool down for 1/2 hr & they were fine again... only seemed to happen when under yellow or after a spell behind pace car etc.... yes there was an issue with pump location & airflow around it etc, but converting to full loop cured the problem altogether..

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Alex

I read (ages ago on this forum) 15cc per hp per minute.

So say 900 hp at crank * 15 *60 = 810 000 cc per hour = 810 l per hour = appros 180gph

I have never seen the 15cc per minute anywhere else but it has always put fuel use in approx the right bracket

Ian
Ian

I've surrended and bought an a1000. I figured either 150gph wouldn't work, or it would jussssssssssssssssssssst barrrrrrrrrrrrrely eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek out, and I don't want to run that type of risk on this type of engine

Hey Jack Mac, I've missed your great inputs on these issues. I am running 48 ida's on a sbf stroked to 382 ci. The fuel lines are dead headded around all of the ida inlets. Could I continue this back to the tank to make a loop? I am supposing that I am to use some kind of switching system to make the fuel go to the tank that it is comming from. I have heard this is a requirement from several people.

Does the need for the return come from just vaporlock? Do I need to do the return for proper fuel flow? I am obviously in the middle of figuring out why my CAV came with 35gph fuel pumps which are sadly lacking with the hope of just installing fuel pumps with 110 gph. I don't have any problem with vapor lock or heat issues. Please advise.

Does the need for the return come from just vaporlock? Do I need to do the return for proper fuel flow? I am obviously in the middle of figuring out why my CAV came with 35gph fuel pumps which are sadly lacking with the hope of just installing fuel pumps with 110 gph. I don't have any problem with vapor lock or heat issues. Please advise.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but typically you only have to run a return line if you're EFI or if the pump demands it (e.g., a1000) .... if you're carb'd and running a pump that doesn't require it, you can just use a deadhead regulator. Atleast that's the way I've always understood it.

Back