After Market ECU's Please help!

Hi Guys,

I know that this problem has little to do with GT40's, but as you folks are so much more mechanically savvy than I am, I wonder if you can help, or point me toward someone who can?

I am building a P4 replica and have a V12 engine taken from a 1994 Ferrari 456GT. To this I am fitting Jenvey individual throttle bodies, as they are the only company I have found that have already manufactured suitable manifolds for this series of Ferrari engines. Their manifolds were designed for a 575M installation, but luckily the intake ports are the same as on my earlier engine variant.

My trouble is in finding an ECU supplier that can handle the job. So far I have approached OMEX and Autech. Both of whom have (after some head-scratching) admitted they do not have a product that can cope with my engine.

This is all new to me, but apparently the problem is due to the engine being an odd-firing, 65 degree V12 with a wasted spark and two coil packs (one per bank).

As I only intend to use my car on track as a rank-amateur, I was hoping to avoid the massive cost of a MoTec setup with all of their built-in (and over my head) complexity/functionality. However, with the recent inability of others to supply a solution, am I left with no other option than MoTec?

Recommendations and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

You can try Electromotive - less expensive than MoTEC, but still not cheap. The Tec3r and older Tec3 6/12 can handle 12 cylinder engines.

Megasquirt would work, but I believe you need 2 units.

Ian

You can try Electromotive - less expensive than MoTEC, but still not cheap. The Tec3r and older Tec3 6/12 can handle 12 cylinder engines.

Megasquirt would work, but I believe you need 2 units.

Ian

You wont have to run 2 units and the setup is considerably cheaper than the others
I am getting one to run my turbo'd BMW 12 from DIYAutoTune.com Megasquirt Kits / Assembled Engine Management Systems, Wideband o2 Sensor Systems and tuning products it is going to handle ignition and fuel injection

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions guys.

I'll contact the recomendations above and keep my fingers crossed.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I use electromotive on my lamborghini, Mike Trusty and I put this on in 1993 and its still running on the same plugs some 20k miles later and starts on the second go round. Here is a picture of the engine with TWM throttle bodies. I really like your choice of engines for your project, its a good solid motor from what I have read.

I have put electromotive on every car I own even my twin turbo Subaru powered VW Vanagon, I love the product. The later versions of electromotive are great if you are familiar with there operation but there are far to many options which get people confused and into trouble, I would recommend Tech 1 for price and ease of use.

One nice thing about the latest electromotive product is it is true sequential as the tech 1 and 2 are not, unless you use 2 units. The tech 1 bang for the buck is your best bet and if you have a problem getting it tuned I would be willing to help.

Attachments

• AUT_6936.JPG
    AUT_6936.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
You might have luck with MBE, its a very highly recommended high end system in the middle range money stakes. Steve Boughton near Chessington in Surrey is your man for supplying the system. Steve Greenauld at Road and Track near Lakeside in Essex swears by MBE and he did a lot of the dyno work with Roush on the Ford GT engine, and i can't recommend him highly enough for all dyno development work, and for being the worlds most helpful bloke in general.

Those two guys will be able to provide you with all the information you would need for your installation so long as the MBE has the fundamental capability to do the job, which from my limited experience i believe it has.

Normally i would recommend Omex as its such good value for money, i'm surprised they can't help you or at least get GEMS to help you as i thought GEMS would have a high end system that would be flexible enough to do the job.

D.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Megasquirt for cheapness. Either build yourself or buy ready done.

Or DTA will build you a box/loom etc. to suit your needs.

DTA
10 Boston Court
Kansas Avenue
Salford
ENGLAND M50 2GN

Tel: (+44) (0)161 877 1419
Fax: (+44) (0)161 877 7086

Email: [email protected]
Website dtafast.co.uk

Cheers
Mike

Thanks for so many suggestions and contacts. I sure have some work to do now, but will contact the above and see where we go from there. Always nice to have recommendations rather than going in blind. Cheers guys.

Keith

Megasquirt is really fun, especially if you build it yourself, cheap and is best bang for the buck out there IMO. Whether or not it will do your engine is another matter, but because it's self built it has loads of 'bolt-ons' if that's the right word. I helped a friend build one for a rally car and I learned so much about injections systems that it was worth the effort just for the education!

Good helpful website too...

Back