100MPH head on hit!

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
Something to remember when traveling at 50 mph on a two lane country road with traffic in the opposite lane also doing 50...

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
My god......shows you how bad those old Hyundais are!

They should have tried it in a Subaru!

(disclaimer - I spent my career working for Subaru)

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
GAD!

No doubt...but at that speed, the cage may maintain some similarity to its origninal shape, but my human body will be smeared over every bar on it.

I have a friend of mine who has done crash simulations on computers for years (primarily used in litigation cases). It's his opinion that any crash above 90 mph is not sustainable in a commercially available car, period. The forces are so great that even if the safety cage survives the impact, the forces that the human body will experience is a killer. To be clear, that would be head-on collions and running into a stationary object like the one shown. Other types of events such as rollovers have a greater life expectancy albeit with severe human damage. If you think about how a race car is built and the safety features that have evolved like neck and head harnesses, you can understand the differences in survival rates for racing vs on the street accidents. Plus, how many race crashes end up in a head-on with an immoveable object. Usually the forces are at angles, not perpendicular.
Garry

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
This is assuming a crash into a solid object that doesn't move and there is no deflection......thankfully this is probably rare and most collisions involve some sort of deflection, thank goodness.

I recall reading about a Formula One car accident many years ago where the car stopped from something over a hundred in about 18 inches - driver survived, not without injury. He hit a dirt embankment at Brands, if I remember correctly.

Remember, if you have a choice, try not to make it a direct hit! (Or is that too obvious?)

Lets recall D. Earnhardt Sr. When viewed the carsh looks non-threatening compared to other horrific car crashes seen on TV. But when you go from 180 to 0 in less than a split second the human body can't take the force generated. Same with military aircraft......the design parameters are limited by human deficiencies.

This crash shown is certainly something to ponder when driving these GT40's etc. at speed....which I have done many, many times.

Back