Drining fuel tanks on a Tornado?

Picked up my car today and the P.O. assumed no spark as a reason for being a non runner but this is not the case. The fuel is contaminated with what I assume to be water and therefore I need to drain the tanks so does anybody know if there is a drain on the tank or am I best off removing the sender and drawing the fuel out from there as best I can? Unfortunately I don't know what sort of tank is fitted and how I can access this but there is a mention in the hand written scribblings of a Jag tank. Is this possible and from which Jag?. I am assuming the fuel pickup does not go to the bottom of the tank so draining via the pump would not be possible as it would leave too much fuel/residue still in there.
I will give Andy a call tomorrow but in the meantime any pointers would be welcome.

Trevor.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Trevor

Easiest way to drain would be to put a pipe down the filler neck into the tanks and pump out.

Tanks are not Jaguar but are custom made aluminium fuel cells which are foam filled.

Thanks

Andy

Trevor,

I drain my tanks down every winter by disconnecting the fuel supply from the carb and running a pipe into 5-litre containers. Then I just run the fuel pumps. If I tip the car backwards as well, this gets rid of even more old fuel/water. Unleaded fuel doesn't have a long life, so I add a little fresh petrol mixed with fuel conserver for the winter layup. The water can get into the tanks with the fuel, or if it is raining heavily when refuelling. I haven't managed to blow myself up yet, but there's still time... Don't try this at home folks :)

Tony

Thank you both for the replies and I will try a combination of both and see how I get on. Sun forecast for tomorrow so should get chance to post a few pics.

Trevor.

Back