Need help in michigan!

Hey everyone, I decided to go with a fiero chassis with mmy kellison gt40, I need someone to stretch the fiero, weld a subframe and instal the engine and transmission in for me. someone please help me..:huh:

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
What's the Fiero wheelbase?? The Kellison is based on a VW wheelbase( around 90"), surely the Fiero isn't shorter that that.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Vw is 95".. That what the dimensions says in the kellison manual I have. Would a few inches off matter?

I am not that familiar with the Fiero suspension pieces, but think that modified suspension pieces would be easier/cheaper to fabricate to gain that little bit. Possibly even relocating the mounting points of the entire drivetrain. It seems that stretching it for such a minor difference is the long( and expensive) way to go.
I have 3 sets of clips here and I think you could even section the rear clip, since the engine won't be out the back like the VW engine is you could eliminate some of the excess overhang they have and bring the wheel opening forward some. I'm going to cut some of the rear off of one, but haven't decide on what powertrain to use.

Strip a Fiero and cut everything away that interferes with the installation of the clips. The wheelbase should not be a big factor as the Kellison body (wheel arches)
just may have enough room. Much easier to play with the body than attempt to relocate the suspension. The Fiero complete rear cradle assembly can easily be moved a couple of inches if necessary. The obstacles that I forsee are all with height relationships of the Fiero mono chassis.

Someone told me I would have to reinforce the whole fiero chassis because the body plays a roll in keep everything together. Would I have to add a subframe and other things to keep it together? Also the mr2 is a 94.5 wheel base... Is that the same case as the fiero with the chassis?

The Fiero is pretty stout! Unless you plan on making the wheelbase quite a bit longer, you should have no problem. Only the roof structure adds anything to the stiffness. From the number of 355 spyder clones using the Fiero, I have not heard of any problems in this regard. A simple 2" x 2" .090 tube skip welded across the roof cut will ensure integrity, but I wouldn't even bother..

I have stretched a couple of Fiero's in the past and that was a no-brainer exercise too.

Where did you stretch from? I was told to move the cradle for the engine and trans up just a few inches.. easier said then done

Back