Holly Fuel Pump problem ?

Gordy

Lifetime Supporter
Yesterday I took the car out and for the second time experienced the following problem:

Driving along at a moderate speed and the engine quit like it was out of fuel. Checked and found that the fuel pump was VERY hot and wasn't running. I had this happen once before on a short trip and while waiting and looking the pump started up on it's own.

This time I cooled the pump with a wet rag and it started again. No further problems the rest of the day.

Any ideas? Obviously the pump must have some type of internal thermal shut off, but it doesn't do it regularly. Mounted in the usual spot on the firewall, driver's side.

Mike Pass

Supporter
I had one like that after it was left for a long time. There must have been a little water in the fuel and the metal parts inside the pump had a little corrosion (rust) on the them and the plates which press outwards to seal had jammed in the slots. Stripped it down and cleaned off the crud with fine wet and dry and reassembled. Worked fine afterwards. Maybe the hot pump is due to a lot of current into the stalled motor rather than it spinning freely and taking less current.
Cheers
Mike

They also have a reputation for self-destruction. Mine would stop periodically...until it stopped permanantly. The internal vanes finally jammed. I know that there are rebuild kits, I just kept an extra on my shelf at all times.

Gordy

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the replies. This happened to my old pump, so I replaced it with a new one a few months ago. Only had the car out a couple of times, so a little suprised that this one could go bad that quick.

I have also been told that Holly pumps need to be at or below the source of the fuel outlet?

Back