Southern GT at Donnington

Glenn M

Supporter
Had a blinding day at Donnington Park on Sunday with RMA track days. Gorgeous day, open pit lane and NO NOISE LIMIT!

It was great to see the circuit open again after being used as a pawn in the F1 politics game. I think that the circuit is allowed something like 40 noisy days per year, and as they’ve been shut for so long, they’ve got a few to use up, so the track day company’s have been offered them, very last minute. As a result there were only 14 cars there!

Absolute bliss!

Speaking to the organiser, he said, (only half joking I think) that people find it easier to skive off work than to get away from Her Indoors at the weekend!

Anyway the result was the most amazing day with absolutely no limit to track time on an empty track. The only slight downer was a huge fuel bill! The track is mostly as it was with the modifications having been concentrated around the chicane before the pit straight. Thankfully the Redgate and Craner curve section is unchanged – it’s still a leap of faith!

The competition for loudest car there was a between an F car (a 360 GT2 I believe) and the linden green GT40 GEL003. Gratifyingly the Gt40 on megaphones took no prisoners, and once warmed up was unbelievably loud, and then set some very respectable times whilst practicing for Spa. I followed him round Redgate a couple of times, and from close up the sight of it four wheel drifting, being steered on the throttle, with all four historic Dunlop racing tyres right on the limit, was an image to remember. As we went past the pits together there were, all of a sudden, an awful lot of people hanging over with cameras.

Unfortunately with so few cars attending there was no official photographer for on track pictures, so all I have are my efforts.

Glenn

Attachments

• Donnington 1.JPG
    Donnington 1.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 330
  • Donnington2.JPG
    Donnington2.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 291
  • Donnington3.JPG
    Donnington3.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 297
Good to see Donington back. I went to the Masters race the previous weekend and it was fantastic. Must post some pics.
Its great to see cars out on the circuit again, and the more track days run there the better. And they will be having testing days there all winter as well.

Ron Earp

Admin
Very cool Glenn! Did you have silencers fitted?

That is a cool track. Love the planes in the middle of it. I really appreciated the drive Malcolm set up there some years ago.

Glenn M

Supporter
Thanks Martin,

I tried flashing it at the other '40 but he wasn't playing! Just because he had a roof light too!

Hi Ron,

Yes it is a great track, why don't you come back and have a go in the dry?

I was running Micks silencers, but I'd taken all the baffles and wadding out. It was the next best thing to straight through or megaphones that I could do in the time that I had.

Glenn

Attachments

• Donnington4.JPG
    Donnington4.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 332

Glenn M

Supporter
I was just emailed this picture of Tammy telling me how it should be done and how she could do it better!

It's great having a fellow petrol head for a partner, it saves so many rows!

Attachments

• Donnington5.JPG
    Donnington5.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 291
I'm in love. Sorry to break the news to you this way Glenn.

Ask Tammy to call me tomorrow...

Oh SH1t, I was only meant to be thinking that, not typing it!:worried:

Keith

Very cool Glenn! Did you have silencers fitted?

That is a cool track. Love the planes in the middle of it. I really appreciated the drive Malcolm set up there some years ago.

Planes in the middle of it Ron? :shocked:

Holy crap - that's the final approach for East Midlands Airport!

How many landed there? :laugh:

I watched BTCC at Donnington last Sunday and that new chicane got them on the straight really quickly and some good moves there especially by Mr Josh Hill, Damon's son who launched off the kerbs and took 1st place by a whisker on the line.

That was the site of my last active race in the Camaro. Difficult track at time - quite scary too especially when there's a film of kerosene on it on a damp day...but always exciting :shocked:

Still could never see it working as a modern F1 track though..

Glenn M

Supporter
I think there is a Spitfire in the middle of it, although it is quite possibly not a real one, even, gasp, a replica, if one is allowed to use that word around here!

Although as I recall it was hissing down when Ron drove there so maybe someone lined up on their finals a little wrongly?

Glenn

Glenn M

Supporter
Mark, offer her a drive of your P4 and I could be in trouble! Do me a favour, don't rush to finish it will you.

Glenn

mark- soon as you get up and running we must get a trackday in at donnington, its one place i havent yet done in the t70 altho been round it loads in my gt4, superb track. how long do you reckon before you will be driving it?

Not wishing to hi-jack the thread, but I am hoping the P4 will be finished before Christmas.

However, if I run over to Spring then what the hey. Definately on track by Spring 2011 or I'll shoot myself!

And a meet up is a must.:thumbsup:

Mark, if you shoot yourself, can I have first go at your P4? I know it will still need finishing in this scenario, but I'm willing to make sacrifices.

Back