Busy with the 917.

This last few weeks has been a busy time with the 917. I was asked to do some demo laps before the start of the 6 hour race at Snetterton, then at the Chelsea Autolegends LeMans extravaganza (see previous post), and this last weekend out at Snetterton again. An Autosport photographer caught this great shot coming through Russells chicane.

Attachments

• 0C5I0037.jpg
    0C5I0037.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 456

Keith

Fabulous as always Graham :) I've got to eyeball this creation before I go blind! Maybe next year hopefully (not blind, 917K - what were you thinking!)

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Keith,
If you don't want to go blind, keep that right/left hand
strapped down.
BTW, it looks equally gorgeous in the flesh !

I saw Graham's 917 at Chelsea. Couldn't find Graham himself to say hi though.

Utterly fabulous car. Graham's was parked next to David Piper's 917. Damned if I could see the difference.

did you see the chomondly pageant footage on motors tv this year? someone crashed a 917 into the fence on the sprint track, made a right mess of it.
i have some sound clips from last yrs silverstone classic of an original 917 idling in the pit area, superb.

Mark,

Just for you i,ve added another couple of pictures. Don,t know how we missed one another as i was about the whole two days and i would have liked to chat to you

Chris,

That was my 917.

Graham.

Attachments

• chelsea autolegends 021.jpg
    chelsea autolegends 021.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 364
  • chelsea autolegends 022.jpg
    chelsea autolegends 022.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 357
I know Graham, a darn shame we missed each other. I'm just going to have to drag my backside down to Suffolk some time!

Mark,

Just for you i,ve added another couple of pictures. Don,t know how we missed one another as i was about the whole two days and i would have liked to chat to you

Chris,

That was my 917.

Graham.

So who's faster? Piper or you??!? ;)
Also, it looks like your car has the revised '71 rear bodywork? I notice that the rear bonnet has a little lower profile than pipers car? maybe its just the photo. Looks fantastic either way.

OC,

There is quite a bit of camber on that road and neither car is sitting very straight as can be seen by the front ends. My tail flaps and centre winglet are adjustable and i had set shallow angles on them for the Snetterton, Silverstone and Spa tracks with their longer straights. Davids car runs with the fixed angle flaps.

GT.

Attachments

• chelsea autolegends 023.jpg
    chelsea autolegends 023.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 291
Mark,

Chris,

That was my 917.

Graham.

Bloomin eck, sorry to hear that, i take it the new pics are proof its all repaired and running well? looked like a nasty accident graham, was gutted to see it.
regards
chris

Chris,

all straight again as you can see, and with a lot more originality. I,ve always accepted that damage will occur at some time with motorsport and so i have no hang ups about it. The 917 is a very vunerable and frail set up and does not stand up to punishment in the same way as many other cars. That relatively lightweight crash meant a whole new front, oil cooler, pedal box, master cylinders, brake piping, front pontoon,fibreglass floor, lights and covers,some wiring and numerous bits and pieces. Most importantly though i did not have to replace my feet.
I,ve attached a picture of the "small hiccup "caused by a clump of mud, pouring rain, strong wind and a freshly laid surface !!!!!!!!

Luckily, i have plenty of spares for the 40 and 917s. You need them in racing.

Having said that, you won,t see me doing another narrow hill climb like Cholmondely again!! I,ll stick to circuit racing thankyou.

GT.

Attachments

• IMG_2894.jpg
    IMG_2894.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 448

Keith

I saw that on TV Graham - the car was running perfectly straight and it suddenly snapped right - not long after the start I would say.

You were so lucky re: your lower limbs mate but you probably suffered a major pucker injury too.

What I find fascinating about the 917 is, that quite apart from the visible fact that it is a lightweight fragile 'built to win' race car, I can only think of one driver (John Woolfe) who lost their life racing in the machine, and that was mainly due to his relative inexperience and unfamiliarity.

Not only that, but I believe I am right in saying that no-one ever got badly injured in one either!

In other words, despite the odds, a remarkable racing 'safety' record. Of course I may be incorrect and whilst not wishing to dwell on the negatives, I would appreciate confirmation/correction on my assertion.

I'm sure there are photos of your engine in this forum somewhere but could you post a few. The car is fantastic to look at and a bloody good job was done getting it back into shape after the hic-cup. Kudos to them. BTW I hail from Ipswich and noted you indicate Suffolk, England as your home. Would you mind a visit someday? I'd love to see the car up close and personal so to speak.

Keith,

Spot on as usual.

As i have said in previous posts, the 917, despite its frailty was remarkably an almost injury or death free racing car. Woolfe insisted on starting the 1969 LeMans race with the earlier unstable long tailed version, and, with no experience of it and against all advice, paid the price on the first lap.

The only bad injury was with David Piper in the blow out during the making of the film "LeMans".

When you think of just how dominant and fast these raw,brutal, beautiful cars were in 1970 and 71, and the very different race tracks, i think it was more good fortune that there were not more "nasties".

Regards and keep well,

Graham.

Regards,

Graham.

graham
glad you got it sorted, a lot of work i'm sure. looked like it ripped off the front in the footage, as you had nowhere to go but into bales.

I am/was thinking of hillclimbing myself with my T70 and the thought of a big off at somewhere like Harewood or shelsey etc does scare me! i've done a few sprints at fairly open "safe" venues without any worry. big respect for you taking that there as it did look narrow.

where do you race/track your car, and in what series? would love to see the car in the flesh. 917, P4 and GT40 are my all time favourites alongside the T70. do you do any trackdays etc?

Chris,

Having spent 15 minutes doing a reply to your questions, i,ve just managed somehow to delete it all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I,ll send you a private mail and maybe we can discuss over telephone .... easier.

Graham.

Back