GT40 & Ferraris on Track

Picture taken at Australian Festival of Speed, last Sunday.

599 Fiorano, 430 Scuderia and 458 Italia are all trucks by comparison!

Supercar cup consisting of Cobras (+ GT40), Corvette, Ferrari and Porsche was run and won as it was in the day - GT40 first!

Attachments

• IMG_7238 - Small.jpg
    IMG_7238 - Small.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 491
indeed that gt40 looks best.
is that a special red color? it looks dark red...nice (and I'm not a red color fan)

GTRene - Not a special red. Honda 'Milano Red'. As applied to Civic Type R and the superseded Accord Euro in Australia.
Chosen because it has no orange in it at all and reflects blue very nicely, so looks great (to me) at sunset. VW Golf GTi red (Mk V) is very similar, but without the blue reflections.

There are many pics of old GT40 vs new GT, but short answer is they are much bigger.

If you look at an original VW Golf, compare it to a new Golf, and then compare it to a new VW Polo, you will see that old Golf is the same size as a new Polo. All because of safety legislation.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Good one Julian, do you do Ferrari speak yet? :worried:
Love that "Honda" Milano Red, as its got guts, my
Cobra was originally painted that

Flatchat, you may be interested to know there was an original Lola t70 there to, with 302 running gurney weslake heads! Nice, not fully restored and running yet, but still looked great.

I can confirm that from following that 599 in practice they're not lacking straight line snap!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
The last pretty Ferrari for me was the F355. All the current ones just seem to look awkward IMHO...

What a man of superb taste you are, I agree 100% but then I am a tad biased. The new Italia looks a lot better in the flesh than in the photos for some reason.

Here you go Chris,
Chassis SL70-05. According to the son of the owner, the car spent may years racing is South Africa, it then went to NZ and was brought to Perth. Car is not running and is being refurbished.

I am planning a GD T70 build very soon so had a special interest in this car.

Attachments

• 2010-11-28 12.12.07 (Large).jpg
    2010-11-28 12.12.07 (Large).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 2010-11-28 10.51.42 (Large).jpg
    2010-11-28 10.51.42 (Large).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 236
  • 2010-11-28 12.14.35 (Large).jpg
    2010-11-28 12.14.35 (Large).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 2010-11-28 10.51.53 (Large).jpg
    2010-11-28 10.51.53 (Large).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 210
Nice pics Ricky. Glad you could reply since I didn't get any photos of the T70, as my camera was on video duty in my car. Does the boss (wife) know of your T70 plans?!

Pete - the 355 running on the day was an challenge model I believe, genuine wing and race seats etc. With a very loud exhaust! I've heard it compete before and it sounds great. GT40 hoses it in a straight line, but of course you know that already!

interesting history.

Julian,
Yeah she knows and has pretty much resigned herself to the fact. It wont be for a little while though as I need to properly finish the coupe and actaully do something about fixing the front clip on the 40.

Looking at doing the T70 with an LS3 and either a rebuilt G50/50 or a ZFQ box.

Should be quite the pocket rocket.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Yeah, really... for the most part Ferraris are beautiful to me (some need a little help, but even then I wouldn't call them ugly.), yet that picture makes them look downright hideous!

I don't really think they're ugly but they looks somewat formless and coarse next to the GT40. But if you dropped a Lusso or 275GTB in the middle of that pack I'd call the GT40 relativley ugly as well.

Back