Seat Belts

How is it possible to keep the stock Willans seatbelts properly adjusted around your pelvis and the shoulder harness tight at the same time?

The belt fits across my stomach which isn't proper at all.

Thanks,
John

Any suggestions for a good replacement? A seatbelt across your stomach is downright dangerous. In case of an accident, it'll be your spine that stops forward motion after all that soft tissue between it and the belt is all squished up.

A nice feature of the Willans belts is the padding in the shoulder harness. Does Simpson or some other company make a five point harnesses with those?

Kevin, where and how did you attach the anti submarine mount?

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
When getting belts see if you can get some with the adjusters up a little from the side bolt mounting attachemnts

It means the belts can be adjusted when you are seated in the car.

I got my Luke set through Frank Catt (on this forum) and they are FIA regulated too f you want to take part in any "events"

Ian

Dear John

This are the mounting points on my RCR

PICT4327.jpg

i also modified the seats to have openings in the correct place ( correct shoulder height ( belt angle 0° - -10° towards the mounting/angle point, did not have posted any pictures of that yet) . All the mounting points are reinforced with FIA sized steel plates. With this mounting points the lap belt is running correctly below your hip bone and is strapping you rather downwards instead of backwards. the 2 point submarine belt is a bit of a hassle to get in and the seat mounted, but once done it fits perfect. Would be easier if you use a 1 point submarinebelt.

PICT4313.jpg

will post pics of my shoulder belt routing asap

Also routing of lap belt should be easier with the SPF seats , because they have not the strong side support compared to the RCR´s.

TOM

Two point anti-submarine mounts have a very important advantage over single point ones.
With a 2-point mount, the bolts holding them down can be spread out laterally to distribute the stress. Single point ones have to be on your centreline, and if you've been repeatedly bashed on the coccyx by a bolt head, you'll know how that feels!

It is looped through a hole in the chassis just forward of the seat. I will take a picture of it next time I am at the car in two weeks.

see this often times on GT40´s . makes no sense at all for me because there is still enough room to slip ( dimension from inbetween your legs to the front end of seat). Lap belt is more pulled forward than downwards, this will loosen the lap belt in case of crash.

Theres is only one way to do it correctly, thats the way the lap manufacturers detail very much in there installation documents. ( check out the SCHROTH site). Every diviation from that its dangerous.

Of course this means extensive modification of seats and well thought out belt mounting/routing points in most of the replicas ( also on originals, because the where far away from the optimum as well).

TOM

Two point anti-submarine mounts have a very important advantage over single point ones.
With a 2-point mount, the bolts holding them down can be spread out laterally to distribute the stress. Single point ones have to be on your centreline, and if you've been repeatedly bashed on the coccyx by a bolt head, you'll know how that feels!

agree, thats the reason why i used a 2 point submarine ( listen to it high pitched :laugh:)

TOM

see this often times on GT40´s . makes no sense at all for me because there is still enough room to slip ( dimension from inbetween your legs to the front end of seat). Lap belt is more pulled forward than downwards, this will loosen the lap belt in case of crash.

Theres is only one way to do it correctly, thats the way the lap manufacturers detail very much in there installation documents. ( check out the SCHROTH site). Every diviation from that its dangerous.

Of course this means extensive modification of seats and well thought out belt mounting/routing points in most of the replicas ( also on originals, because the where far away from the optimum as well).

TOM

Tom,
Fair point but considering that I rarely use it I have a lot more space to slip now Regarding why, the loop was there when I bought the car and I assume that the extensive modifications you mentioned were a main deterrent to doing it the right way.

Considering it is mostly a street car (as of now) and I am much more concerned with an SUV taking off my head in a crash, I have not gone through the motion of fixing that piece yet.

Like the rest of your car, that seat modification is well done, I envy your craftsmanship ability.

Kevin

John,
I changed to a set of race belts that have wider straps, 5 points, and here is the parts I like, Camloc release. The main reason I changed was for a quicker egress from the car. The Willan belt took me longer to get my arms through than popping the Camloc style release, plus I can send these back and get them re-certified.

Thanks for the info, Grady.

Where did you anchor the anti submarine strap? Did you have to cut a hole in the seat to accommodate the strap or did you mount it forward of the seat cushion?

John
I ordered the 5 position camloc through Summit. The anti-sub snaps into the camloc. I don't normally use that strap, but roll it up and fit it into the center seat frame hole and lay the edge of the seat over its location. I chose the 'pull up' straps as they are easier to work because of the sunken seats. The anchor is located just in front of the seat box. No hole in the seat. Does this answer your question?

Thanks Grady, it does. I was at the Schroth site looking at their mounting instructions and for their 5 pt. harness, the anti sub belt should be mounted so that it's in line with the shoulder straps. That would require a hole in the seat and then you'd be at the lightening hole in the chassis where you store your anti sub when you're not using it.

Which harness did you get and is it comfortable? How does it fit for you across your chest? The shoulder straps on the Willans feel like they want to fall off my shoulders, like it needs a strap to hold the two shoulder straps together. Another issue with the Willans is that it loosens up. Does your harness stay nice and tight?

Last edited:
Back