Ford Capri Penara V8

Came across this car (heard from it before but long time ago)
what a nice Capri and what a sound :heart:

in this video the Penara race cars and also some GT40 in the same race, also the Penara story and some road-cars...those also make a very lovely sound, which is music in our ears.

video Penara>> YouTube - Perana story Trailer

ford.jpg

I saw this picture also on this website, and it says that it uses the running gear of the GT40? nice.

gunston2_1.gif

Gunston_Capri_BO.jpg

this seems to be a Gunston tunes Capri Penara

4319043345_1b62e64682_o.jpg

Capri-Perana.jpg

Only 500 of these cars were built in South Africa by Perana Cars of Basil Green fame - sanctioned by FORD of SA and sold as new cars off FORD showroom floors.

Without writing volumes, these performance Capri's were based on the XL trim version, transplanted with a crate BOSS 302 with performance cams, pistons, headers and huge Holley and a Cobra Top-loader box with 9" LSD handling the black stripes.

there was one road car for sale

Ford Capri Perana V8 Manual by Basil Green SOLD (1972) on Car And Classic UK

anyway a special car me thinks with a lovely sound to give you many smiles per mile.

The perana's (I never get the spelling right) are a cult car here in SA, complete with all the storys as to which of the current ones are "real". People build replicas, others reshell supposibly original cars etc etc.

Quite a few have ended up in the UK over the years

Dedicated website perana.org

Cheers

Fred W B

From above site

After the Cortina Perana, and the rare Capri Perana V6, Capri Perana V8 was the next, and probably the most iconic, in Basil Green's range of performance Fords. Production started in 1970 and continued until Ford South Africa discontinued the Mk1 Capri in 1972.
Although no definitive records exist it is generally accepted that somewhere between 500 and 550 Capri Perana V8 cars were produced.
In 1970 the Capri Perana V8's performance eclipsed 'normal' cars and was more in the league of exotic machines such as the Ferrari. Fourteen years later when the Alfa Romeo GTV (224.2 km/h) beat the BMW (535i 220.7 km/h) which was at the time South Africa's fastest locally produced car, both were still slower than the Perana in both acceleration and top speed. Even by today's standards the Capri Perana is still a very rapid car.
The Capri Perana V8 is unique in that it is the only V8 Ford Capri ever officially sanctioned by Ford. It was available from all South African Ford dealers with a full Ford warranty. Ford was closely involved and Capri Peranas were built as such at the Ford plant in Port Elizabeth and were shipped minus engines and gearboxes to Basil Green Motors where the manufacture was completed.
The car was based on the Mk1 Ford Capri 3000 XL. It was powered by an up-rated Ford Mustang 5 litre V8 (Windsor Small Block Ford) engine. Power was fed through a four speed close ratio Mustang 'top loader' gearbox to a custom limited slip rear axle derived from the Australian Ford Falcon XW rear end. Automatic transmission was an option where the Ford C4 automatic was used.
The suspension was lowered by 40mm (1.5 inches), with stronger springs and revised valves in the front Macpherson struts. The car was fitted with 185-70 x 13 radial tyres on chromed wide RoStyle steel wheels. Standard Capri 3000 brakes were retained, but with up-rated pad material at the front.
To accommodate the V8 engine's larger sump the steering rack was changed for an inverted left hand drive rack mounted on the back of a modified front cross member. The front struts were swapped from side to side to relocate the steering arms.
Remarkably the Capri Perana was only 9 kilograms (20 pounds) heavier than a standard Capri 3000. This was possible through the use of an aluminium inlet manifold and aluminium bell housing.
Bright Yellow or Peri Peri Red were officially the only colour options, but a handful of cars were produced in other colours including gold and mustard. The twin black stripes running either side of the bonnet and sweeping up the curve of the rear side windows and the chromed RoStyle wheels were the defining external features. In addition the car had Perana badges below the XL badges on the front fenders and V8 badges on the bonnet and boot. Most cars had a black boot lid. Many cars were equipped with the optional Perana louver on the back window.
All cars had a black interior and in the Basil Green tradition the interior was standard Capri XL except for an alloy spoked steering wheel.
The Capri Perana was priced at R4450 (approximately £2200 in 1970)
Towards the end of South African Ford Capri production Basil Green announced the R Pack Perana which was based on the four cylinder XLR shell, presumably because six cylinder shells were no longer available. The R Pack had a flat bonnet and high back seats. The bonnet was painted black, and the car had different stripes.

Last edited:
ooooh I first posted Parana, then bettered it in Penara but it is Perana :) lol...
can someone change that in my post and topic?
there is no option to better it now for me.

good story Fred, nice to know also
Remarkably the Capri Perana was only 9 kilograms (20 pounds) heavier than a standard Capri 3000. This was possible through the use of an aluminium inlet manifold and aluminium bell housing.

that Gunston looks indeed very fast and very planted to the circuit, good road-holdings so it looks in the video.

also the street version was very fast, specially when looked at those years it was build in...
that late in 1969 Ford approached Basil and asked him to build a prototype Capri Perana for them to assess its potential. Basil duly produced this remarkable car. The power-plant was the Ford Mustang 302 cu in V8, with Ford "Muscle" parts in the appropriate places, and a maximum power output of 281 bhp. With the power to weight ratio and the low frontal area, the car really moved and was capable of a genuine 142 mph and a 0 - 60 mph figure of 6.1 seconds. It excelled on the track.

I wonder why a lot of special cars come from SA did they have less rules to build such cars? seen more special cars with bigger engines only coming from that country, also a lot special cars in and from Brazil, saw some wonderful cars wich I never knew of, but looked a bit like some EU cars but then just a bit better/different and another name/brand.
Those days (60/70/80/90) you only had car magazines wich mostly not reported from those countries, now with Internet the world gets smaller :D

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
that Gunston looks indeed very fast and very planted to the circuit, good road-holdings so it looks in the video.

also the street version was very fast, specially when looked at those years it was build in...

I wonder why a lot of special cars come from SA did they have less rules to build such cars? seen more special cars with bigger engines only coming from that country, also a lot special cars in and from Brazil, saw some wonderful cars wich I never knew of, but looked a bit like some EU cars but then just a bit better/different and another name/brand.
Those days (60/70/80/90) you only had car magazines wich mostly not reported from those countries, now with Internet the world gets smaller :D

Hi

I'd imagine most of the problems arose through lack of hard (Foreign Currency) and import licences to enable stuff to be imported. Certainly was the case in Rhodesia and continued into Zimbabwe after Big Bad Bob Mugabe came to power.

And they managed to race some great cars
Motor Racing in Rhodesia 2
The Mac Lyle chev / Dave Tingle car ended up at 7 litres and blisteringly fast.

So it was always a case of modifying bits to get reliability / speed/etc.

There were also copies of Lola T70's chevrons etc.

The magazine scene was developed and run for the Southern African Market - a "Car" magazine was produced - don't know if it still runs that did good write ups on developments

Like there was an engine builder (renowned for making power) who developed the 3l Cosworth for a F1 team that beat the field and got protested for engine irregularities - they stripped the engine and confirmed it was in spec and gave photo evidence including the mods he had done to the valves. Shortly after the opposition started having falve problems!

I also believe the Fastest Perana had F1 Tyrrel 4 pot calipers on the front - no wonder the car stopped and brakes did not fade.

Last big name in endurance racing was Sarel Van De Merwe (sp) who ran Le Mans a few times. They even did mods on the underfloor of their Porsche and the Le Mans officials said - get rid of it or take your car home - they had set up the fastest lap in practice that year.

Great times
Ian

good story Ian, what a difference racing back then, and racing those days with all the safety rules etc.

@Tom, a lot of work went into that replica, but I can understand why they want it to look like that original car, it has great road presence.

When I became 18 I also start looking what car to buy...
and came across a nice Ford Capri, which I got famous with it because a friend of mine his uncle had such tuned car.
but at the time when I was 18 I was only 1.67mtr tall :D
anyway loved the looks and took a seat behind the wheel of that nice Capri for sale...
whaha, what a long bonnet , I could not look over it, at least back then when I was that small :D
so decided to go for something else instead...it became a Fiat Bertone X1/9 also sporty but way smaller.
within 2 years though I was 1.81mtr and still am today (I hope) but never bought a Capri...to much other cars to choose from.

I had some Ford cars though, 5 x a Ford RS2000 mk2 (rubber snout) a Ford Siera Cosworth, and some others, but the last Ford I owned was back in 1994 (that Cosworth)

Back