Anybody knows this one?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
470,000 Euros? What does that amount to in USD at the current exchange rate? If the current exchange rate is $2/Euro, that is close to $1M......

Nice looking car, though...Essex Wire colors?

I didn't take the time to copy and paste into a web-based translation program, anyone care to explain what all the German was saying?

Cheers from Doug!!

There isn't much to say, there isn't much German but it reads
"car is fully restored, has a new FIA paper and it's race ready"
Other info, VAT is not refundable, it has done "1km"* and was first registered in May 1965."
That's it. I also followed the link to the seller's webpage, there is only the same information listed there so in short, not much information.

*I suspect this means that the seller had to enter something in the mileage field on the sales software for mobile.de and it wouldn't accept zero. Just a guess though.
Cheers,
Jason

One of the pages says (thanks to Google Translate)

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION
Fully restored vehicle. New FIA car pass. Race Finish.

Year: 05/1965

1010, 1026, and 1038 were Essex Wire cars. 1010 was built in 1965, but $650,00 seems too low for for an original car.

This could be a Gelscoe car. I think I recognize the background as where they have photographed some of their cars. If you check Gelscoe's webite (and its certainly worth it!!) you might see what I'm referring too in some of their photos.

I think you nailed it. One of their cars is painted in Essex Wire colors, and the couple of the photos seem to match the photos on the German site.

Gelscoe Motorsport - CHASSIS 4 GEL 004

Looks like it, the pictures are identical - which makes it seem plausible that the German advert is a scam? Or is a Gelscoe really worth EUR470,000? Even if that were true, the German ad claims that the car is fully restored and says nothing about build date (other than claiming that the first registration date is My 1965 which seems not to be the case)

So why would a seller say "first registered in May 1965" ? Because they are declaring it to be an original 1965 GT40, which it clearly is not. In other words, a fraudulent misrepresentation.

The low price (for an original car) is suggestive that it's a fraud as well.

People trying to pass off new recreations as original cars is both a fraudulent act, and also damaging to the reputation and credibility of all GT40 owners (of originals and replicas alike). Why be a slime bag when you can instead be a stand up guy?? I just don't get it.

You took the words out of my mouth......
+1

So why would a seller say "first registered in May 1965" ? Because they are declaring it to be an original 1965 GT40, which it clearly is not. In other words, a fraudulent misrepresentation.

The low price (for an original car) is suggestive that it's a fraud as well.

People trying to pass off new recreations as original cars is both a fraudulent act, and also damaging to the reputation and credibility of all GT40 owners (of originals and replicas alike). Why be a slime bag when you can instead be a stand up guy?? I just don't get it.

Back