Adrian Newey and GT40P/1019 at the Spirit of Montjuïc

Hello everyone,

I have been away for a while, too busy these days.
I am putting together my new show, Spirit of Montjuïc, which will take place in the Catalan GP track near Barcelona on April 8/10.
Racing will be provided by Masters Historic Racing on the 4 wheel department and the ICGP on the bikes. There will be 6 racing categories on the cars (F1, Sport protoyipes, Saloons, Group C, GT´s... and already 4 GT40´s inscribed... ) and the bikes.
We did the presentation of the show last Friday during the F1 testing lunch break and we had a special guest, Mr Adrian Newey, driving the Escudería Montjuich GT40, chassis 1019, for the media on the Catalan track. Juan Fernandez, one of the most successful drivers of the Escudería, joined us for the event.
Some pictures of the presentation attached.
There is plenty of information in English and French on the show at Espiritu De Montjuic - Enter

Attachments

• 110311118.jpg
    110311118.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 536
  • 110311102.jpg
    110311102.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 497
  • 110311079.jpg
    110311079.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 466
  • DSC_1392.JPG
    DSC_1392.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 475
Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Spirit of Montjuïc, Catalunya Classic Revival

Hey JP,
I wondered why you have been so quiet recently,
See you soon I hope.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
JP

Many years ago, I remember reading about the Montjuic Park Circuit in Barcelona, a very very fast temporary track in a city park. Is this the same track, if so that would be something to see!

I raced there 3 Times the 24h on motorbikes in the 70 ties and it was really crazy but super at the same time.probable the most exciting expérience in endurance race tracks.

Stills a wonxerfull place to visit

Hi all,

Jim, unfortunately the old Montjuich Park track is now in the middle of the city, and the city officials will not let us use it for racing anymore.
I did a demonstration in Oct 2007, The Martini Legends, and with the help (read money... lots) of Martini, we closed the track on Sunday and had around 90 vehicles (F1, prototypes, Gt´s...) which raced originally there with some of the original drivers, Fittipaldi, Pescarolo... doing a demonstration: Lotus 72 and 49, Tyrrell, McLaren, 1971 Ferrari F1...
It was fantastic, but I doubt it will happen again... Too expensive to put together. I had one of the best times of my "organizing events life".
Some pictures attached.
What I am trying to do now is to recreate/re-live the spirit of the old Montjuich track on the new Barcelona GP circuit (see JimmyMac link or Circuit de Catalunya ® | INICI) which is around 20 miles outside the city, where the big boys play with their ultimate F1 cars (Spanish GP to take place there on May 22). I will have the same races as in the old Montjuich park track, the music of the era (live!), the entertainment of the era... Plus a village with all sorts of vendors... have already more than 70 vendors confirmed, including some car manufacturers. This year I am paying tribute to the Escuderia Montjuich cars and drivers, and I will have all the drivers on Saturday April 8 there for the tribute plus 5 of the Escudería cars demonstrating on the track on the lunch break of the races.
It looks very good so far!

Attachments

• ML Montjuic 07.jpg
    ML Montjuic 07.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 299
  • MARTINI LEG_ 1475.JPG
    MARTINI LEG_ 1475.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 284
  • MARTINI LEG_ 1597.JPG
    MARTINI LEG_ 1597.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 305
And attached some of the Escuderia Montjuich cars that will be at the show, demonstrated everyday by the actual owners.

The Ferrari 512 was driven in period by José María Juncadella, raced Le Mans, Daytona and even Tour Auto in France!
GT40 1019 was driven to victory by Paco Godia and Brian Muir in the 6 hours of Barcelona 1968. The Chevron was another Juncadella´s car and de Osella PA2 was Count Jorge de Bragation´s car

Attachments

• Ferrari 512M.jpg
    Ferrari 512M.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 253
  • GT401019.jpg
    GT401019.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 320
  • Chevron B21 EM.jpg
    Chevron B21 EM.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 267
  • Osella-EM-barqueta.jpg
    Osella-EM-barqueta.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 266
Jim, Fred,

Yes, the old Montjuich park track is a wonderful place to visit!

The track is all there (there is only a new roundabout... too many roundabouts everywhere in the world!) and the area is very pretty.

You can drive around the old track every single day with your modern or classic car in the normal city traffic.

I am doing a tour around the park on the Thursday before the event for the competitors coming to race with the Masters Series.

Anybody visiting Barcelona and feeling like going there for a walk or a ride, needing help with directions, just let me know

Back