Goose chase?

All,

I have access to a set of GT40 wheels, that were allegedly installed on a particular non-GT40 car, back in the late 60's, probably 1968, by Goodyear. The car is a very low production SN#, was imported as a show car, and was shipped to Goodyear to have the conversion to the KO hubs etc. At least that is how the story goes.....

Did Goodyear Corp "own" any cars or did they simply sponsor car #1009? (and perhaps others.....)

Interesting thing about the wheels is that the centers were blacked out.....and apparently 1009 ran blacked out centers also......

Are there any markings on these rims that could verify their origin, ie GT car # or ????

I found out about this car back in about 1996 and have been keeping an eye on it....now it is up for sale, and I may want to rescue the rims/conversion for my car!

Thoughts or comments?

Thanks!
Steve

Steve (a very good friend of mine for going on 20 years) has a terrible habit of saying, "...the car..." over and over again, while switching back and forth between describing two different cars, leading to potential confusion. I know the entire story he's relating above, and reading it here, *I* am confused! :laugh:

To translate from Steve-speak into English:

He's got his eye on a non-GT40 that is wearing a set of GT40 Halibrand wheels. These wheels are apparently from Ford GT40 #1009 (the recently restored and resurrected Peter Sutcliffe car, discussed just recently here).

The non-GT40 wears a very low production number from its production run, and apparently Goodyear converted this non-GT40 to run knock-off hubs and pin-drive wheels. He's wondering if Goodyear owned GT40 #1009, as the wheels in question are stamped thusly. (We know that Goodyear did not--the history of P/1009 is contained in a forum post, here: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40/28411-green-gt40-peter-sutcliffe.html)

I have seen original GT40 wheels that were stamped with the serial number from the car they were originally issued to, so I would presume that "1009" on the back of a set of wheels would indicate they belong to GT40 #1009. Is there anything else that could positively identify the heritage of these particular wheels?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The Borrani's of production GT40s ahd the chassis number stamped in the rim (i.e. "1054" on Fran's car, 1056 on Chris McAllisters wheels [which a friend had bought to put on a Safir car, but the Safirs ahve no splines on the hubs]) but I have no idea if alloy wheels were stamped. And as most early cars left FAV with wires and were then converted to Halibrands I would doubt that they would be stamped.

And as most early cars left FAV with wires and were then converted to Halibrands I would doubt that they would be stamped.

I just remembered that recently, an original Halibrand wheel from an original GT40 (I think it was P/1012) was offered for sale, stamped (assuming my memory is correct) "1012" on the back side....

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I just remembered that recently, an original Halibrand wheel from an original GT40 (I think it was P/1012) was offered for sale, stamped (assuming my memory is correct) "1012" on the back side....

I said I doubt it, not that I know for sure! In fact, i doubt that I really know anything!!! (ask my wife, she will confirm it!

Back