Grand Sports

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The SPF Grand Sport is just going into production. The first car is being used by GM for the "E-Rod/GMPP" tour events. Some GS's have been sold and are in build at the factory. Sadly, no one other than the guys at GM have had the chance to "drop the hammer" on the
Grand Sport.

I am a lifelong Ford guy, but if I went to the Dark Side, the Grand Sport would be the ride......

is there any information available on the chassis itself? I looked at the website but didn't see any pics. Is the chassis similar to the Cobra, or the Daytona Coupe?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
is there any information available on the chassis itself? I looked at the website but didn't see any pics. Is the chassis similar to the Cobra, or the Daytona Coupe?

The GS chassis shares nothing with the MK III, the Coupe or any other SPF product. I would bet only some hardware and paint are the same!

The GS chassis is a dupe of the original. A TON of tooling had to be developed for the car. Very little is shared with the production Corvette as was the case when Zora originally did the car. For example, while the rear gears are the same as the production 'Vette, the diff housing is totally different. That had to be tooled, cast and machined. No major suspension parts are the same, no body panels, no frame pieces, etc. It all had to be CAD designed, tooled, produced, tested and signed off. The amount of tooling on the GS is huge and none of it works for any othe SPF product! That amount of development and the low volume require the pricing as the amortization will take a long time over a fairly low production run.

Attachments

• 100_3855.jpg
    100_3855.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 254
  • 100_3824.jpg
    100_3824.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 273
  • 100_3851.jpg
    100_3851.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 301
I guess what I was really asking is if the chassis is a twin tub design, or if it is a spaceframe. I'm completely ignorant as to how the original Grand Sport was designed.

TIA,

Tom

Back