Catch Me Up: Roadster #009 For Sale?

Saw somewhere on the world wide internets that Dean Jeffries' #009 roadster had been put up for sale?

IS it for sale?

Has it ALREADY sold?

What's the scoop? (no pun intended)

thnx

Re: Caters.ch Me Up: Roadster #009 For Sale?

I am in LA now helping Dean with GT109 and can positively tell you it has not been sold and Dean has no plans to sell the car despite plenty of offers. Dean also still owns the Manta Ray he built in 1963

Attachments

• DSC00993.jpg
    DSC00993.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 447
  • DSC01014.jpg
    DSC01014.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 442
  • DSC01040.jpg
    DSC01040.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 449

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I didn't realize that 109 has a Ford Indy engine with the inside exhaust and outside Webers. Very cool. How does the throttle linkage work with the carbs so far apart? Maybe I will not be the only one with synchronizing headaches....

I didn't realize that 109 has a Ford Indy engine with the inside exhaust and outside Webers. Very cool. How does the throttle linkage work with the carbs so far apart? Maybe I will not be the only one with synchronizing headaches....

On another thread here somewhere, I think there are some pretty detailed engine pics, or you could as an LA. local to stop by and take some.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Jim,

The 255 DOHC "Indy" motor was constant flow injected from Ford, the Webers are an 'add on". What is not commonly known is that the heads can be swapped left for right and that then the exhausts come out below the cams much like a "normal" V8 while the intakes still flow between the cams. There are pictures of this configuration in front engine sprint cars circa 1965. Mario drove one that way several times, but the Ford was not as competitive in sprints as at the "big" tracks.

As you know Bill Wonder also had a 255 installed in 103 for many years. Very cool looking but probably not worth the hassles.......

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I remember that; they had Hilborn type injection or something like it, maybe Kinsler? And I did see the motor in Bill's car 103 when I visited him, although he had by then put an EFI system on it with coil packs and all that... I did not hear it run, but it must have been earsplitting when running...

I still don't know how you synch the butterflies from one side to the other...

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I still don't know how you synch the butterflies from one side to the other...

Very carefully!

I think, but do not know for sure that they really didn't "fine tune" the balance as it would seem to be more important at low RPMs as opposed to 7,000 plus.

Well, since the answer wasn't too clear about this sale thing, I just called him and asked him.

He said it's always been for sale, but no one has been willing to pay his $10 million asking price. hahaha

He had no idea who it was that created that "for sale" thread in this link
1965 Works Prototype Ford GT40 Roadster

Sounded to be in good spirits and as feisty as ever.

Said he'd brought all his classic builds "home" (like his Indy-inspired "Mantaray") so he can look at them.

Gotta love that.

trivia: Right before he retired as Foyt's engine man, Howard Gilbert built that Ford DOHC engine for Dean's GT40.

Soon after, Foyt sold all his DOHC engines, parts, and casting boxes since he had bought them all from Ford back in the day.

Back