Oil Pan Advise Wanted

For those of you further along or done with your build, which pan did you go with?

I have a 351W based motor using a 157 tooth flywheel, starter motor to be determined. I ask because apparently there are different pans for 302/289 and 351 motors (I thought that they were the same), and different pans depending on the combination of flywheel diameter and starter motor.

On the Aviad site, they mention all sorts of combinations, and suggest that for cars using a larger flywheel (such as I), but a modern small starter, to use their "Daytona Coupe" pan (pn 155-55363) rather than their "original" style GT-40 351W pan. They say doing this will add .5 quart oil capacity. I'm not sure that I really care about that extra half quart, but that is what they say.

For anyome with a combo similar to mine, is this the pan that you are using? If not, what?

Thanks, Ron

Ron,
I think when they say large diameter flywheel they mean the 164 tooth flywheel to take an 11" clutch. You have the small diameter 157 tooth for the 10 1/2" clutch.
The depth of the 302 and 351 pans are usually the same but the rails where they bolt to the block are wider for the 351 to cope with the longer stroke.
Mike

Mike,

Thanks. When Aviaid said "smaller" flywheel, I assumed they meant something like those tiny 8.5 inch things. So, at least in theory, I could go with the "original GT40 style" 351W (notched for large starter) Aviad pans.

As for the rails being wider on the 351W, I appreciate the education.

Ron

Last edited:
Ron,
I think when they say large diameter flywheel they mean the 164 tooth flywheel to take an 11" clutch. You have the small diameter 157 tooth for the 10 1/2" clutch.
The depth of the 302 and 351 pans are usually the same but the rails where they bolt to the block are wider for the 351 to cope with the longer stroke.
Mike

Not Correct, both 302 & 351 W pans use the same rail dimensions and bolt pattern apart from the effective dia at the rear main along with the two bolts each side of the rear main cap.

The 104 tooth ring gear was IIRC from a Morris Minor or Austin A30 and used on early original cars

They are both the same depth at 6 1/2 " so the differance will be the "original GT40 " pan will have a deeper cut out for the starter to mesh with the 104 tooth flywheel, hence the slightly reduced oil capacity.
Mike

Ok,

So far it would seem that I need a pan designed for the 351W block, but NOT the original GT40 (early) 104 tooth starter ring. In Aviaid speak, this would mean to not use their "GT40" pan, but to go with their "Cobra Coupe" pan (for 351W).

Can any of you SPF owners confirm that this setup works in your car?

PS, I noticed my typo in the initial thread title....but I don't know how/if I can correct it.

In my defense, I never claimed to be a typist...but you should see my handwriting :).

I have an Aviad "GT40" style pan on my SPF. Works fine with my dart blocked 351 that's bored/stroked to 427. If it's any consolation the oil cooler and lines provide for +/- 1 qt of extra oil in the system as well.

Rich,

Thanks for the reply. Do you mind telling me which flywheel/bellhousing combo you are using, and are you using a standard starter?

Thanks in advance.

Ron

PS where in Norcal are you?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The Aviaid site says that the original style is to be used with a 104 tooth ring gear. Humm.

Just a general bit of advice from recent experience buying a dry sump system from Aviaid: it's a good idea at least to verify any decisions you make based on the web site; the site isn't that current and there may be better options available and not shown. John Schwarz is very helpful on the telephone.

Back