Bulkhead Window

Originally the thought of having that very thin piece of plastic between me and the engine didn’t set well. Then there was the matter of heat and noise, not that I don’t love the sound but it would have been a bit much after hours on the road. So before I ever drove the car I replaced the thin plastic window with a piece of ½” Lexan. Everything was fine until I had to keep cleaning the engine side of the window and worried about the engine heat and scratches. My solution was to add a safety glass window on the engine side of the window opening. I was lucky enough to pick up an extra window frame hoping it would fit. Well it does with the removal of the bottom tab. So now I have a piece of safety plate glass on the engine side and Lexan on the passenger side. From the inside of the car you would never know it was there. Only when you open the rear clip and look would you ever see it. It looks like it's always been there. Sorry my cell phone doesn't take the best pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_2235.JPG
    IMG_2235.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_20110517_062759.jpg
    IMG_20110517_062759.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Rick how much for a window frame? I know there are a few of them floating around out there but if someone couldn't find one it would be nice to know what SPF would get for one. Also can I order the shift knob form the R model and how much would it be $

Last edited:

Brian Magee

Supporter
Richard,

On my GTD I have an interior frame the same as on you car. As the bulkhead panel is 1/8" fibreglass I added a second 1/8" panel which gave me enough depth to fit a custom made sealed double glazed unit.

Brian.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Mike,

Yes I have more. I lost several orders when my main computer took the big one. As itwould cost almost $1000.00 to get the files off the dead hard drive, I elected to wait until people asked "Hey, Rosanada, what's up with that?"

Send me the address info and I'll ship one out.

Something to said about daily auto back-up onto another on-board drive. Priceless...don't you just hate a smart ass in the morning?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Something to said about daily auto back-up onto another on-board drive. Priceless...don't you just hate a smart ass in the morning?

I now own a USB hard drive and use it. Lesson learned.....

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.......

I place that quote into my personal memory.....
Right up there with, "you don't know what you don't know".:idea:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter

Rick, thats a great line, I do not remember ever hearing that................

I got one of Ricks 3/4' Lexan windows, I love it.

I've been backing data up to a Firewire hard drive, then deleting it from my computer to free up space.

Then the Firewire drive crashed.

DOH! :shocked:

So now I'm getting TWO backup drives....

We now return you to your regular GT40 thread, already in progress....

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick, thats a great line, I do not remember ever hearing that................

I got one of Ricks 3/4' Lexan windows, I love it.

Actually my windows are 1/4" glass. The 3/4" Lexan is from Olthoff. Both do the job well of insulating heat and noise, I made the glass units to more closely replicate the originals and to prevent any discoloration from fuel, etc.

The glass windows are now $139.00 to GT40s.com'ers and include a new rubber moulding and drain tube splice.

Mike,

Yes I have more. I lost several orders when my main computer took the big one. As itwould cost almost $1000.00 to get the files off the dead hard drive, I elected to wait until people asked "Hey, Rosanada, what's up with that?"

Send me the address info and I'll ship one out.

PM sent....

I made a 1/2" Lexan window in about an hour. It's the perfect thickness if you want to retain the original frame. I first moved and glued with 3M weather strip adhesive the window gasket to the metal window opening. I then made a pattern out of 3/8" plywood using the window frame as a template. Make sure the pattern fits inside the frame. Trim the plastic a little oversize then use double stick tape to hold the Lexan to the pattern. Next using a router and a trim bit, route around the pattern. Piece of cake.

BTW make sure you order scratch resistant Lexan. I didn't now there was any other kind but there is. Also you don't need a router table I just happen to have made one and it does make it easier. Do not take the protective paper off until you're ready to install the window.

For those of you that don't use a router that often and you're using a router table go clockwise around the pattern if you use a hand held router go counter clockwise. It makes the whole process safer, easier with better results.

I also got rid of the drain tube as it was much to small. I ended up using a 1/2" tube routed down the right hand B pillar. The new drain is the black tube in the fourth picture.

Attachments

• IMG_4683.JPG
    IMG_4683.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_4684.JPG
    IMG_4684.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_3492.JPG
    IMG_3492.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_0252.JPG
    IMG_0252.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Rick,
I still need the glass frame and seal. I purchased glass from RCR last year and need the rest from you. PM sent....thanks!

Back