Mk III center shift

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Alan,

Look close at pic 3 and 4.

Actually 2 cross shafts from center to Rt side (one for R/L the other Fwd/Back motion).

They merge into one shaft running Front to Back

Steve Cioffi P2125

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Hi Alan,

You got it!

On a seperate note: If you get a minute please give me the details of your side window fastner upgrade. Did you have a problem with the 2 locations that require the shortned screws using your scheme?

Tx, Steve

Petersen Automotive Museum has a MKIII that they restored. The museum's director had the car at the Kirkland show last year and I ask him about shifter rod but he didn't know how it was routed. Somewhere I've seen a few pictures of the restoration so you might contact them to see if they would share the pictures.

Does anyone have a picture of the bearing that supports the shift rod on a RHD drive car as goes through bulkhead? My car is a LHD but if it were a RHD car the rod would go tall slot in the picture. Steve do you have a picture of this area on you car.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.JPG
    IMG_0167.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Alan, parts book there's a parts book? Where do I get one of those?

Steve I did find the one picture of that area of you car. Do you have one at a lower angle that shows the shift rod going through the bulkhead?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Parts book there's a parts book? Where do I get one of those?

I just posted it in the Gallery (one file per page, 24 pages). Search for "Parts Book". The page with the shift mechanism is labelled "shift mech."

That bearing mount is item 27; it looks like a plain spherical bearing in the triangular mount; the shaft has to slide through it, so I assume it's bronze or something like that.

BTW can anyone tell me what the L-shaped arm with bushing hanging down from item 42 is for?

Last edited:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I just posted it in the Gallery (one file per page, 24 pages). Search for "Parts Book". The page with the shift mechanism is labelled "shift mech."

That bearing mount is item 27; it looks like a plain spherical bearing in the triangular mount; the shaft has to slide through it, so I assume it's bronze or something like that.

BTW can anyone tell me what the L-shaped arm with bushing hanging down from item 42 is for?

The L-shaped arm is the gear selector on the transaxle.

Thanks guys for the help. As for shaft material, I've seen solid steel and aluminum. Any chance I could get by with a high grade steel or aluminum tubing with billet ends?

Alan thanks for the parts list. It's nice to know where the joints are.

Back