'66 Le Mans Mk II weight

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I was just watching Dave Despain on "The Shelby Legend" I(Speed Channel) and once again heard Carroll Shelby assert that in '66 at Le Mans the GT40s weighed 4,000 lbs. The other time I heard it could conceivably be the same interview, but I don't think so. This was presented in the context of the importance of Phil Remington's quick-change brake design and on how hard the brakes were used in that race.

Shelby also made some comment to the effect that the brakes were so good that at the end of Mulsanne straight the drivers could do whatever they wanted with them. That's not quite what I recall from various other accounts on the subject....

Anyway, I assume this is just the blathering of an old man who's lost some of his arithmetic facility. In '66 there weren't even Mk II B's with roll cages, etc.
The '66 Road and Track article written after the race had the weight at 2,682.
So my thought is that maybe the Mk IIs approached three thousand pounds and "Old Shel" is just off by a thousand.

Comments?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I was just watching Dave Despain on "The Shelby Legend" I(Speed Channel) and once again heard Carroll Shelby assert that in '66 at Le Mans the GT40s weighed 4,000 lbs. The other time I heard it could conceivably be the same interview, but I don't think so. This was presented in the context of the importance of Phil Remington's quick-change brake design and on how hard the brakes were used in that race.

Shelby also made some comment to the effect that the brakes were so good that at the end of Mulsanne straight the drivers could do whatever they wanted with them. That's not quite what I recall from various other accounts on the subject....

Anyway, I assume this is just the blathering of an old man who's lost some of his arithmetic facility. In '66 there weren't even Mk II B's with roll cages, etc.
The '66 Road and Track article written after the race had the weight at 2,682.
So my thought is that maybe the Mk IIs approached three thousand pounds and "Old Shel" is just off by a thousand.

Comments?

He is quoting "French" pounds!
I don't know where he gets "4000" but obviously his recollection is faulty.........

Back