What is a special GT40?

I had a friend say that a 'special' Original GT40? was at Dunsfold. I do not suppose P1075 is over for the 100th British Ford parade at the Goodwood Festival of Speed?
Regards Allan

I had a friend say that a 'special' Original GT40? was at Dunsfold. I do not suppose P1075 is over for the 100th British Ford parade at the Goodwood Festival of Speed?
Regards Allan

It's probably relative to one's association to the GT40s or perhaps who you are talking to.

If you've never seen one before, any original GT40 might be special(*). If you own a GT40 (or you spend too much time on this list), then perhaps a GT40 that won at Le Mans is special.

(*) I once saw someone pull his kids out of school for the afternoon so they could see an original GT40.

Allan

Do you know which day this car was seen at Dunsfold.

We had several 40's there for Wings and Wheels on Bank Holiday Sunday and Monday but I'm not aware of an original car being there.

Mistaken identity perhaps!

Glenn M

Supporter
I'd really like to think that it's me in the picture as well, but there's just too much hair unfortunately!

Still, it's good to know that I own an original Carroll Shelby/JWA masterpiece!? Now I can retire!

Glenn

To be honest I do not know if this was Wings and Wheels this was last Wednesday. I thought it was a inside Ford day not a public event that my friend attended. It had nothing to do with Wings and Wheels. That's why my friend mentioned a special original GT40 I thought of P1075. Given that there is a British 100 anniversary parade at the Goodwood Revival. Of course I might have it completely wrong!! I am I getting confused with Dunsfold and Dunston the Ford HQ?
Regards Allan

There were special centenary celebrations at Ford Dunton around the Bank Holiday weekend so that makes more sense - I think 1046 may have been in the UK recently so perhaps it was that special car (or their replica)

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Might be this one Allan

Attachments

• MKII @ Goodwood 2011.jpg
    MKII @ Goodwood 2011.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 443
I think thats the replica based on 1008 with plate FMC 1 - Ford's Mk 3 1107 is also there and about ten others in the racing paddock including 105 & 111 plus 1079 & the yellow French car - photos probably deserve a separate thread later

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
P1008? - I don't think so.
I was a regular visitor to FMC1 when it was converted and this MKII's body shell is more accurate. The dash is also very different from P1008 which was untouched during the conversion.
It appears to be the car which was at the Le Mans Classic and has a Holley. P1008 as a MKII went out with Webers on it's 289.

Yes The special original GT40 P1046 was at the Goodwood revival it was participating in the 100th British Ford Centinary parade which I missed. Together with the Ford P68 3litre, the MK6 Lola Mecum, the Ford GT Roadster GT111(?), the Ford prototype GT105 and MKIII GT40.
P1008 was also there as a course car made up to look like P1046. But anyone can tell it was not P1046. The obvious sign having the words Course Car on it (Like its sister car the White MKIII) And the MK1 Nose clip with the central NASCAR Duct. And of course the Holley on the 7 litre P1046 and Webers on the small block P1008!
Regards Allan

Back