SLC seat belts

What are you guys using for seat belts? I'm kind of leaning toward a camlock rather than the lever type. Any pros or cons for the camlock?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
You mean whatever Fran sells me...surely.?

I only use camloc style belts...RJS is in my back yard and they offer good value for money...I use them alot.

The race car currnetly has a new Schroth open wheel style six point harness...at Ryans request...we are adding a sternum strap too...

I'm not sure what the laws are in AZ, but in NJ I don't believe the cam lock is DOT approved. Doesn't mean you can't use it on the street but I'm not sure if it would pass the initial DMV inspection. Allan put a DOT approved Scroth in his SLC. It has a big red button with PRESS embossed on it to release the harness (4 point I believe).

The explanation as I recall is that it needs to be obvious for first responders to know how to release the belts in the case of an accident.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the laws are in AZ, but in NJ I don't believe the cam lock is DOT approved. Doesn't mean you can't use it on the street buy I'm not sure if it would pass the initial DMV inspection. Allan put a DOT approved Scroth in his SLC. It has a big red button with PRESS embossed to release the harness (4 point I believe).

The explanation as I recall is that it needs to be obvious for first responders to know how to release the belts in the case of an accident.

California has the same stipulation and having spent a lot of time researching this, it appears that Schroth has the only solution. But it looks like a very good one. That's the route we're going.

For a track or race car, the only requirements are the sanctioning body rules, and these should be clear.

For the street, as has been noted, most states want to see something that is FMVSS approved, so the choices are limited. You can buy regular aftermarket belts that are legal, repurpose belts from another car (as some other kit cars do), or get new aftermarket belts from Schroth which as noted elsewhere, provide an approved solution.

I'm going to take the inspection risk and use race-level belts on my car; if rejected, I'll cobble up something for reinspection, but use the better belts in practice.

I understand the requirement for a red button with "press" on it, but really, if I need help from EMTs at that point, the bigger problem for them will be getting the door open. Besides, I'm sure they all carry knives and are quite willing to cut a belt to pull out an occupant when needed.

I'd rather have what I think is a safer belt that always protects me in the event of a crash, than optimize for a much less likely situation (a dumb EMT who can't figure out how to open a belt buckle, or cut one off if it still isn't obvious after a few tugs).

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
California has the same stipulation and having spent a lot of time researching this, it appears that Schroth has the only solution. But it looks like a very good one. That's the route we're going.

In registering an SPCN car in California there are three "inspections", Brake and Light, CHP, and BAR. There is no inspection by the DMV that I know of. Regardless, in which of those are safety belt releases inspected?

Here in Chicago, I am aware that some cops know that real 4/5 point cam/latch harnesses are illegal. I have the DOT approved Schroth setup and they are nothing like real 4 or 5 point harnesses. The ones I have look like this: http://www.on-trackperformance.com/Schroth Harness/rallye4ASM1.jpg

I think why 4/5 point harnesses are illegal on the street is because they completely lock the occupant to the seat. In a roll over accident, standard seat belts and the schroth belts allow your torso to slide out to one side so as to avoid being crushed in a non-caged car, where real harnesses don't.

I think why 4/5 point harnesses are illegal on the street is because they completely lock the occupant to the seat. In a roll over accident, standard seat belts and the schroth belts allow your torso to slide out to one side so as to avoid being crushed in a non-caged car, where real harnesses don't.

Interesting comment about the torso sliding. Schroth makes a specific shoulder harness that is side-specific that allows exactly that. And since the company allows a mix-and-match ordering process, you can order the "street" shoulder harness with the rest of the regular harness. It works by using a fold of one side of the harness that is sewn with "weak" thread, such that in an impact, that belt lengthens when the thread breaks, which allows the torso to twist to the side.

Incidentally, Schroth says 2" lap belts are the new 3". They recommend the 2" lap belts, and even have a NASCAR-approved version of those belts. I will probably use them in my SLC.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
4 point or 5 point, Al? How about a photo? I'm thinking about putting a better restraint system in my Cobra....

Cheers, Doug!!

Back