as most of you probably know by now this car was recently bought by one of our customers. i work for CKL Developments

i have been given permission to show some of the restoration on this forum. hopefully in return for some old photos pre museum and possibly some info that isn't in any books :thumbsup:. it has 6,400 miles on the clock with some oil change stickers showing it has only done 200ish miles since the mid 80's. it has only done 1 mile since 1997.

the plan is to put it back into MK3 status with wire wheels, deflare the arches and repaint the original colour. a lot of bits like the interior will not be restored, just cleaned and things like the fuel fillers etc will still show its true age.

amazingly the original wheels, spinners, exhaust system and boot compartment still exist.

it will have some high profile magazine features about the car and the restoration so i can't give too much away but i'm sure what i put on this forum you'll find quite interesting.

i'll take the camera to work tomorrow and snap a few pictures.

Thanks go to you and the owner for sharing what you can. I love any information and photos of the originals. Fascinating history! Looking forward to the updates. :thumbsup:

Francis

Barry, don't let us down mate. You're committed and we've got high expectations now! Looking forward to photos and updates. This forum is a treasure trove of info. You'll be amazed.

DSCF4793Small.jpg

DSCF4791Small.jpg

sitting in our new workshop
and this is the colour it'll end up
DSCF4803Small.jpg

we also have this one just come in for a repair
DSCF4804Small.jpg

it was restored by us a few years ago after it's then crash at Goodwood and has now suffered the fate of another one :(

should be starting the stripdown in the next couple of weeks. but a little bit of research needed before painting of the body can take place.

does anyone have any pre repaint photos showing the original colours of the engine bay and under the front cover. it's all black at the moment. doesn't look very nice. the steering rack, brake servos the lot is black.

we have a few pictures of 1107 but 1103 pictures would be better if any exist

thanks in advance.

DSCF4818Small.jpg

DSCF4816Small.jpg

DSCF4820Small.jpg

DSCF4819Small.jpg

these are some of the bits that came off the car in the 70's

i thought the tube joining the two manifolds were a balance pipe but it seems not

DSCF4813Small.jpg

probably Helmsholts Resonators and just joined to support the manifolds?

there seems to be some silincers missing but it may be that they are still on the car although modified. the large bore pipe wont go through the floor of the tail so were probably the 'noisey' unrestricted pipes for the MK1 manifolds

DSCF4809Small.jpg

also
DSCF4822Small.jpg

DSCF4823Small.jpg

DSCF4824Small.jpg

got a bit more stripped down. quality control wasn't really a worry back then was it :stunned:. the seat belt anchor points look rather flimsey. i wouldn't trust them in a head on. inertia reel belts. are these standard?

everything fibreglass has the little 1103 tags, including the sill covers. apart from the passanger door? seems some of the work on the car, possibly during the conversion, is a little shoddy and will need sorting. bolts too long and causing a little cosmetic damage.

so far so good though. need to get hold of some of the rubber/nut inserts which seems to hold a lot of panels etc in place. anyone know where i can get some from?

any pictures of anything in paticular anyone wants?

Firstly thank you [and the owner] for taking the time to share this info

Photo wise i like many would like to see continued updates ......but would love to see under the front & rear clips......thanks in adance.

Post photos of specific parts you require assistance with and I am confident you will be guided in to the right supplyer.

You may be interested in the photos/drawings contained within the following section of the site

Gallery - Original, Reproduction and replica parts .....page 1 & 2 contain some detailed component drawings showing a mass of components

Regards
Karl

cheers for the heads up on the gallery. had a quick look through.

the brakes on the car are dated. the fronts are 1966 and the rears are 1965. it has solid discs but no cooling ducts what so ever. it has seperate handbrake pads. the original wire wheels are dated 1966 as well. (remember the car was registered in 1969)

the car is in remarkable condition. everything seems to be covered in a waxoil so thats going to take some cleaning off. things like the steering rack and rubber boots and brake servos dont need waxoiling. iv'e got the sill covers off and under them they are as good as when they were waxoiled. it'll be the tell when the fuel tanks come out how good the sills are inside.

reading a bit of history this car it was the last one sold to a customer (the last one being 1107 was kept by Ford, i should think you probably all know this already) strange though that 1103 was sold after the other 5 customer cars? was this due to being made in non numerical chassis order?
anyway according to the book i read 1103 should have solid valve lifters in the 302 engine. seems they were not all built the same? exhaust ports look quite small so the engine hasn't been messed with. i shall be stripping the engine to inspect and recomission it.

the only other Ford V8 i built was a 427 side-oiler for a Cobra. that was warmed up a little with a 428 crank and oversize pistons (made it about 460 cuin), ally heads and a mild camshaft. by christ did that thing shift :stunned:.

the 302 will only get new valve springs and gaskes and hopefully thats it. it'll be kept as close to as it left the factory as possible.

Barry - I photographed 1103 for the first time back in 1982, when it was stored in a flint barn near Goodwood. Mostly shot using black and white film. I know I shot some colour stuff and I'll trawl through my archives to see if I can find anything that may be useful.
(Also shot the car in detail in the museum before it was officially on the market, but that's another story....) Nice original car of course, but needs some tlc with a wire brush :)

Barry - I photographed 1103 for the first time back in 1982,

did you get the PM ?

i'm sure the owner would love to purchase copies of the photos. and as you'r not too far away why not come and have a look in person. so far it's in remarkably good condition. then it should be really.

good to meet you today Trevor :thumbsup:

there is another PM waiting for you.

DSCF4838Small.jpg

DSCF4836Small.jpg

DSCF4848Small.jpg

DSCF4833Small.jpg

DSCF4827Small.jpg

all looking good so far. some small surface rust spots but nothing to worry about :happy:

Back