Overheating

GT40 is Mark II with 427 side oiler.

Couldn't get car to stop overheating no matter how much bleeding I performed. Followed Lynn Miner's advice and bought the UV550000 Airlift tool.

Process I used with the tool was:

- emptied coolant
- blew compressed air thru system to get any left over coolant out
- pulled a vacuum
- blew compressed air thru system again to get any left over coolant out
- pulled another vacuum
- filled up UV550000 coolant hose to get rid of air in line by using vacuum in system
- pulled another vacuum
- filled car with 19 qts of 50/50 coolant/water mix (427FE motor)

Will give it a shot next weekend and see how it works.

Mark

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Mark,

You say that you have bled. Have you bled top radiator, temp sensor at top intake ect ?

I lower the front and fill then lower the back and fill and bleed ect.

Sure your timing OK?

Hoses not collapsing?

Pump impeller moving?

Thermostat have a vent hole at top, is it working (checked with thermometer in hot water)?

Do you have a bypass on intake; if not need to start car with heater turned on to prevent start up overheating.

Did you have the heater switch on when filling?

I can't recall but, don't think I used 19 qts.

How hot and what is happening?

Steve P2125 with FE that doesn't run hot.

Hi Mark, if you are not running your car in weather that is less than 40 degrees, you do not need a 50/50 mixture. Antifreeze actually holds heat and dissepates far less than water. I run 1 gallon of antifreeze just for the corrosion package so my mixture is around 30% antifreeze. I also include a bottle of water-wetter. You can drop your temps simply by lowering your coolant percentage.

I had an over heating problem with my GT40 too. I changed the thermostat, changed the water pump, bled everything... it was still over heating. Finally, I filled (primed) the water pump and all the hoses up with water and suddenly I had no more over heating. Seems there was an air pocket somewhere near the water pump so that the water pump would not catch water and start the cooling process. I've had no problems since.

Couple of ideas (similar to what's already been said...)....

1. Get a bleed nipple installed in the top of the rad. Get the car up to temp and find a steep hill. Point nose up hill and run the engine for a bit. Bleed.

2. Point nose down hill and bleed at the manifold.

3. That's a big engine, which will require a lot of cooling....perhaps add an engine oil cooler if you don't have one.

4. Perhaps consider an electric/remote WP - you can better control the volume and lessen the chance of air pockets around the traditional belt-driven WP.

Good luck!

Pat

Supporter
I'd agree with Cliff, you may need a different water pump. Are you sure you have a water pump with the correct flow and it's hooked up properly? You may want to be sure the thermostat is not upside down. I've made that mistake before and it's maddening.

Back