Longest distance trip in your 40?

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Just curious how many of you all drive long distance, I have had several 400 mile trips and the longest in one day was 685 miles. I know Richard had done over 3000 and other than a dead deer had no problems. Chime in!

9400 miles roughly on my speedo.

Jack

A buddy and I drove from Oakdale Ca. to Nevada to watch a hill climb (boring) then back down 395 to 108 (9000+ ft. elevation with snow) and home again. Other than my buddy ripping off the wooden shift knob in some spirited driving, the 40 performed well. All in all about 450 miles.

Last edited:

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
15 300 mile trips for me and a number of shorter jaunts. now 6,000 miles on the OD.

Never a break down.

Steve P2125 427 FE

Hi Jack. The deer encounter didn't make the trip any longer but did take a few years off my life. I figured the trip was about 3500 miles. The last segment L. A. to Coeur d'Alene was 1300 miles and took a little over a day. Except for the lack of cruse control the car is very comfortable. Headphones and some good music are a must.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
A buddy and I drove from Oakdale Ca. to Nevada to watch a hill climb (boring) then back down 395 to 108 (9000+ ft. elevation with snow) and home again. Other than my buddy ripping off the wooden shift knob in some spirited driving, the 40 performed well. All in all about 450 miles.

SNOW!!

Steve didn't you drive to RA and back?

Looks like most trips are about like Dimi, 500 miles, Richard wins the cake for non stop long distance from Idaho to Monterey, don't know how you did it but it showed when you arrived. :)

I took my CAV to Home Depot and back one time....not the closest one (they didn't have the plumbing fitting I needed), the other Home Depot clear across town.....

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
John sorry got you and Steve confused it's an old age thing. Cliff come on be serious how far? Was home depot in another state?

Did 1,400 miles one trip around the Pacific Northwest Spokane-Portland-Seattle loop with side trips. Only 2 issues, RBT/ZF stub axle seal leak, and left rear Spax shock broke off at top of main shaft thanks to a bottomless pot hole. Odometer shows 3k now. CAV #99. Feels good to jump in today and go a a minutes notice. Forever Ford!

Jack, great question. Often pondered this myself.

I can't compare with the "long haulers" but I'm constantly looking for any reason to jump in for a drive. Sadly the longest trip I've taken is a few around the 100 mile mark. I bow to those of you with the stones to go for long treks. Not saying I wouldn't just haven't had the right reason. Would definately need outside entertainment though as CAV #82 is loud. :stunned:

After reading the post I have a question, why not take a longer trip? Is it because of weather, thoughts of being sidelined past the limits of AAA towing, storage room, or just plain time constraints? Mine is time. Sorry, but I don't want to change the thread, but there seems to be more of us who haven't struck out in our cars. I remember meeting NSXER when he picked up his new car at Olthoff's and headed out to Iowa or Kansas. That was a first drive!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
After reading the post I have a question, why not take a longer trip? Is it because of weather, thoughts of being sidelined past the limits of AAA towing, storage room, or just plain time constraints? Mine is time. Sorry, but I don't want to change the thread, but there seems to be more of us who haven't struck out in our cars. I remember meeting NSXER when he picked up his new car at Olthoff's and headed out to Iowa or Kansas. That was a first drive!

Well, I would drive my car from AR to CA 2000 miles BUT it would be by myself, my wife couldn't take it even with ear plugs. I would try to limit my trips to 500 per day so my old body could recoup for the next, any more than that it would not be fun anymore. I know Brian drives his car all the time and long distances but he is much younger than me!

I didn't know about the NW rain, sorry Cliff!

Well, I would drive my car from AR to CA 2000 miles BUT it would be by myself, my wife couldn't take it even with ear plugs. I would try to limit my trips to 500 per day so my old body could recoup for the next, any more than that it would not be fun anymore. !

Okay then Jack. I'll drive down from Chicago to your place, then we can pick up Mike and Kirby and we can all head off on an epic "4-40" convoy. I was thinking of doing this for the F1 race in Austin next year, but there's no reason we couldn't go someplace else. A GT40s.com pow-wow perhaps? I'm itchin' to log some road time.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Okay then Jack. I'll drive down from Chicago to your place, then we can pick up Mike and Kirby and we can all head off on an epic "4-40" convoy. I was thinking of doing this for the F1 race in Austin next year, but there's no reason we couldn't go someplace else. A GT40s.com pow-wow perhaps? I'm itchin' to log some road time.

You can count me in! Can't say yes for Mike but I would bet he would be game, Kirby is south and east of the event so he would have to back tract. I imagine Brian would jump in on the convoy.

Next year the Cobra is going to the mark at Monterey does anyone know if the GT40 is on their list the next year or so? If so maybe that could be a reason for a country wide road trip. Next summer may be reason for a trip east for me.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
OK! I'm in, we can meet at our place in norcal and convoy to down, first show get rooms the rest have the couch or motel.

Back