Gt40 wanted

Hi All,
I'm seeking a complete and well-sorted GT40 replica for street use. Prefer working A/C and left hand drive with center shifter. Not particular about the color but dark blue metallic with white stripes would work. Not looking for a full blown racer as I would be using it primarily on the street for my own personal enjoyment. :thumbsup:

I've scanned the "for sale" section many times, but it seems most are sold by the time I sift through to the end of the threads.

I've got 50K cash. Maybe could do a little better for the right car. I know that is not a lot as these cars go, but that's my budget. Hope to hear from you. Thanks!

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Thomas,

Welcome,

In this market, you should be able to find a pretty nice car in that price range.

I would strongly suggest that first you spend some time here looking, and asking questions.

There are many ways for you to go and rushing may lead to a less that optimum car for you.

Anyway, there are lots of very smart folks here, who would be glad to help. Good luck.

Thomas,

Mine is for sale - about 96% complete with a few minor issues. It's located on the East Coast and I was asking @ $65K.

Email me at [email protected] if you're interested and I 'll provide more details!

John

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
For what it's worth, you need to keep in mind that a non-CA car will cost you quite a bit of extra time and money to register it here. If you build it yourself then you can go the SP100 route, if you transfer from another state then it is a roll of the dice.

For what it's worth, you need to keep in mind that a non-CA car will cost you quite a bit of extra time and money to register it here. If you build it yourself then you can go the SP100 route, if you transfer from another state then it is a roll of the dice.

That's not entirely true. But that's a story for another thread. I would suggest reading an SB100 thread, because you can go through the SB100 process with a previously titled vehicle from another state. CA must honor legal titles from other states under what's called "full faith and credit."

See posts from Morgester, at the ClubCobra Forum, who works in the CA Attorney General's office.

That's not entirely true. But that's a story for another thread. I would suggest reading an SB100 thread, because you can go through the SB100 process with a previously titled vehicle from another state. CA must honor legal titles from other states under what's called "full faith and credit."

See posts from Morgester, at the ClubCobra Forum, who works in the CA Attorney General's office.

Yes, I have heard of the nightmares with registration in Ca. I'm living here for now, but I will either move to Colorado or Texas in the future. My daughter lives in NJ and I could just register it there in a pinch. Of course, if a SB100 car is available, that would be great, too.

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter

Valid point, only going on my experience, previously built, none titled car. Regardless, SB100 is not without additional expense.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I registered my new SPF in CA, there were several steps involved......

But as far as cost goes, the only extra fee, outside of the standard registration and tax fees that you would pay for any car was the "lights and brakes" inspection, around $35.

Really, CA is not that hard.

I needed to get a Vin#, free from the CHP.
I needed to visit a smog referee, no cost.
I needed a lights and brakes inspection, $35.
Then just Standard DMV fees, taxes and then an SB100 number, free but you need to get it early on Jan 2nd.

Thomas, I heard horror stories about registering my car, but it was not hard, just a process.

Last edited:
I registered my new SPF in CA, there were several steps involved......

But as far as cost goes, the only extra fee, outside of the standard registration and tax fees that you would pay for any car was the "lights and brakes" inspection, around $35.

Really, CA is not that hard.

I needed to get a Vin#, free from the CHP.
I needed to visit a smog referee, no cost.
I needed a lights and brakes inspection, $35.
Then just Standard DMV fees, taxes and then an SB100 number, free but you need to get it early on Jan 2nd.

Thomas, I heard horror stories about registering my car, but it was not hard, just a process.

Well, that news certainly takes the edge off. Thanks for the info. Very helpful, indeed.

Thomas, I think Jim's was a new build, which is slightly different than purchasing a used GT40 from another state with a legal title.

CA does have a regulation where they don't allow in used cars from other states, that were legally registered, with less than 7,500 miles on the odo, although there have been at least a few cases where the CA DMV did not enforce this regulation. Otherwise, it's essentially the same process as Jim's.

Also, B&L inspections aren't always required either, part of the inconsistency of the CA DMV.

For both 2010 and 2011, there have been numbers available late in the year. When I got my number back in January 2008, they "sold out" in 2-3 hours. Times have changed.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Julian,

I'm sure you are right. I got my sb100 in 2009, I got to the Los Gatos DMVat two am on Jan 2nd and was fifth in line, it was really kind of fun, they were all car guys!

At 8:30 am I got #275 out of the 500, but the final ones did not go until March or April.

Just so happens that someone posted today on the ClubCobra Forum that they got a SB100 sequence number. The certificate number is 414, but the DMV doesn't issue them in order, just in case someone were thinking that there were 86 numbers left for 2011 (500-414).

Hello Thomas,

I have a Metallic Le Mans Blue with White Stripe SB-100 California registration, 351 stroked to 427ci, TWM 8 Stack injection, ZF transaxle, big Wilwwod brakes professionally built fully sorted CAV GT-40 that is for sale for $89,000.00.

Car is garaged in Orange County.

Please contact me if interested.

Eric

Thanks, guys. Please bear in mind I'm dealing with a $50K budget. Lots of nice cars offered, but some definitely out of my range. Wish I could afford the higher priced stuff, but I really need to stick to $50-55K max.

Thomas, believe me I am not trying to insult you or put you down with this post. I really believe you would be much better off looking at a creampuff used Viper or Corvette for the money you have to spend. Both of these cars will scare the crap out of you performancewise, and for $50K you can buy great examples of either car. Why get whats available at the low end of the spectrum re GT40's when you can get a truly fine example of a car that's in your budget.
There is always time to get a great car now, and wait for the right GT40 in the future when you can truly afford a fine example that is within you budget. (In my opinion, thats going to be between the mid $80 thousands to $130,000.)
Just my .02 cents.

Mike

Back