$10,000 Price Increase

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
According to Superformance.org (formerly "Superformance Cobra Owners' Forum" (SCOF)) there has been a price increase across most of the line, in the case of the GT40 $10K so the base price is now $88,900.

Source: Superformance Owners Forum's SUPERFORMANCE NEWS

The post makes the editorial comment "Pricing has changed over the years along with included features as well as add-on options. As the offerings and features were upgraded and improved, so was the pricing."

I'm not familiar enough with the other products, but am certainly unaware of any such upgrades or improvements in the GT40 that would correspond to a 12% price increase. Does anyone else know of anything?

Last edited:
Alan,

The presence of "upgrades" may be debatable. We are all aware of issues in the earlier cars that were addresses by the factory...I suppose these could be called "upgrades". But, that's not really my point.

The reality is that the US dollar is very strong relative to nearly all other currencies, including the SA Rand. The changes to the exchange rate I'm sure have really eaten away at profits, and to be honest, I'm surprised that this didn't happen years ago. In fact, before I bought my car, I was warned of probable price increases that never happened....until now.

You should be happy, you already have a car, it just became more valuable.

On a related note, (Alan, I know you know this) this is what we call "inflation"...hold on tight, in the next few years we're going to learn what "hyper-inflation" is. I'll get off my soapbox now lest I be tempted to visit the "paddock."

$24,000 in price increase over the past 5 years on the GT40...I think they already hit the point of hyper inflation. I still need a couple more years and I just hope RCR does not hit the point of hyper inflation.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
The reality is that the US dollar is very strong relative to nearly all other currencies, including the SA Rand. The changes to the exchange rate I'm sure have really eaten away at profits, and to be honest, I'm surprised that this didn't happen years ago. In fact, before I bought my car, I was warned of probable price increases that never happened....until now.

You should be happy, you already have a car, it just became more valuable.
"

The approx. value of the USD in ZAR on the dates in question:

Oct 2006: 7.5
Aug 2009: 8.0
Nov 2011: 8.0

BTW in the last 10 years it's been over 8 only from late 2006 to mid 2009.

So explain this exchange rate thing to me again?

BTW I never said I wasn't happy about this, although I am considering buying another one.

Alan,

Sorry if I misinterpreted the following quote:

"I'm not familiar enough with the other products, but am certainly unaware of any such upgrades or improvements in the GT40 that would correspond to a 12% price increase. Does anyone else know of anything?"

As far as your Rand to Dollar conversions, here are some others (from x-rates.com)

Jan 2008 6.99:1
Jan 2009 9.92:1
Jan 2010 7.49:1
Jan 2011 6.92:1
Nov 2011 7.97:1

Obviously, there is a lot of fluctuation from month to month, but I tried not to cherry pick. I don't know where from and to what degree High Tech sources their parts, but I dare say that they could still be getting hammared by exchange rates. Frankly, the dollar is doing quite well relative to all things european (except the Swiss Frank), but really we're just in a race to the bottom of the toilet, in my opinion. A discussion for another time/place.

I don't recall when the last price increase was, but it has been a number of years. Given the current market difficulties, I have no doubt that business has fallen off considerably. Buyers for these toys have to be particularly few right now. I'm not at all surprised by the price hike. I doubt that it will affect the number of GT sales significantly. Amortized over a few years, the 12% increase that High Tech is asking for is not too outrageous, in my opinion.

If you buy quickly, perhaps you can get one at the "old" price.

Have a good one.

PS I still think they are a steal.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I don't recall when the last price increase was, but it has been a number of years. Given the current market difficulties, I have no doubt that business has fallen off considerably. ...
PS I still think they are a steal.

The price points were at the three times I used as exchange rate samples.

IAE I wasn't so interested in why they changed it or whether it's "justified"; and I certainly have no fundamental issue with the price. I wouldn't call it a "steal" exactly, but I'm already on the record as believing it's reasonable. I just figured everyone ought to know about the increase, and SCOF's curious statement about ongoing upgrades and improvements.

(BTW I don't consider "we don't screw them up as much as we used to" as an upgrade.)

"(BTW I don't consider "we don't screw them up as much as we used to" as an upgrade.) "

I do. :)

BTW While fishing around my dash, I noticed that the Speedo cable wasn't even attached to the instrument. Worked out OK, as I had a 90 degree adaptor I needed to put on.

I'll definitely be checking all the suspension fasteners before I take my first test drive.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Igofaster;355261BTW While fishing around my dash said:
I think that makes you one of the lucky ones. Or it means you didn't pay for the "bouncing-needle speedometer that makes a clicking noise until it breaks" option.

Make sure you have a gas tank sender before you smoke in the car...

Oh, and don't even lean on the car when the handbrake is set....:lipsrsealed:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I think that makes you one of the lucky ones. Or it means you didn't pay for the "bouncing-needle speedometer that makes a clicking noise until it breaks" option.
I have that option too! Does SPF offer a fix?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Please let me jump in here. The retail increase is $9000, not 10. Granted still a big jump. The factory is still in recovery stage as to the tooling and development investment. The last two years have seen a dramatic reduction in production/sales due to the global economy, something that sadly none of us can control...not even the president (obviously!). Sales have really rebounded lately and there are several more GT40s in the US than there were a few months ago.

Many of the issues mentioned (speedo cable, etc.) are items that should not have gotten by at the factory but more importantly should have been caught at a proper, detailed, complete dealer prep. I know what I inspect on a roller. I have a list that includes hooking up power and checking all electric functions, etc. that can be tested with a roller. Of course some things can only be checked on a completed car. If our customer has the completion done in our area, we will reinspect the car. Otherwise we would supply the completion shop a checklist. Can something still be missed? Of course, that is why even the "best" production cars in world have dealer service departments and warrantys.

And we have "old price" GT40s available including an "R" car for quick delivery.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick, other than replacing with an electronic unit is there a simple fix for the OEM cable speedo? Would be nice if the factory offered a free or cheap fix for this issue.

I've also been considering one of the SpeedHut GPS units. No tire size calibration worries or sensors to mess with.

GPS Speedometers Gauge, Revolution Gauges Series by SpeedHut

Yes there is. Randall Thomas of SCOF fixed his MK II and will forward me the info to post.

One issue is that the cable must be well lubricated and then re-inserted into the housing.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Rick, other than replacing with an electronic unit is there a simple fix for the OEM cable speedo? Would be nice if the factory offered a free or cheap fix for this issue.

I've also been considering one of the SpeedHut GPS units. No tire size calibration worries or sensors to mess with.

GPS Speedometers Gauge, Revolution Gauges Series by SpeedHut

I went with Speedhut unit, but partly because with my ZFQ the cable isn't quite long enough. However, the cable can be connected to the speedo without a right-angle adapter and without any stress; you just have to route it in a way that doesn't stress the cable. You'll see this if you look at the structure forward of the speedometer. I suspect what the factory does is install the dash with the speedo and cable in place and with the cable drooping down; this causes the cable to get pinned between the speedo and a frame member and bent at a sharp angle. So, long story short, if your cable is in good condition (i.e. hasn't been bent or has been fully straightened) you should be able to route it above the above-mentioned frame member (through a hole in the sheet metal if I remember correctly) and it will have a reasonably straight shot at the back of the speedo. And Rick's point about lubrication makes sense as well.

OTOH, I've heard of several of the speedos themselves failing early.... My original one went to a friend whose speedo lasted something like 90 miles.

PS: sorry about the math error; wish I could correct the thread title to $9,000.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Otherwise we would supply the completion shop a checklist. Can something still be missed? Of course, that is why even the "best" production cars in world have dealer service departments and warrantys.

Several of us are the completion shop. Why not distribute the checklist? That's what the "best" production cars do; if I want the pre-delivery procedure for my daily driver I just log onto their tech info web site and download it. And I can buy a thorough shop manual. And I can download every technical service bulletin. Superformance could easily do the same thing. (excluding the shop manual, I admit, but a few basic facts like fastener torques could easily be published).

The Superformance organization and its associates need to be more open and proactive in providing technical information to the owners. Some of us did our own installs, several of the dealers have disappeared and some were worthless to begin with. IAE the existing respected shop...('s plural I guess...) are very widely dispersed; shipping the cars around every time they need attention is absurd and unnecessary.

But we still have cars to maintain (or finish). If there's a concern about proprietary information we'll be happy to sign non-disclosure agreements. And yes, I'll pay for the information.

So... what are we waiting for?

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Several of us are the completion shop. Why not distribute the checklist? That's what the "best" production cars do; if I want the pre-delivery procedure for my daily driver I just log onto their tech info web site and download it. And I can buy a thorough shop manual. And I can download every technical service bulletin. Superformance could easily do the same thing. (excluding the shop manual, I admit, but a few basic facts like fastener torques could easily be published).

The Superformance organization and its associates need to be more open and proactive in providing technical information to the owners. Some of us did our own installs, several of the dealers have disappeared and some were worthless to begin with. IAE the existing respected shop...('s plural I guess...) are very widely dispersed; shipping the cars around every time they need attention is absurd and unnecessary.

But we still have cars to maintain (or finish). If there's a concern about proprietary information we'll be happy to sign non-disclosure agreements. And yes, I'll pay for the information.

So... what are we waiting for?

Alan,

When I get my "real" computer back from it's biweekly repair, I will post the list I use here. It is not from Superformance but something we developed based upon the inspection list from the SPF MK III roadster and experiance/thought and SWAG.

My point was partly that I am aware of chassis' sold to self installers that were never dealer prepped. The prep is the dealers responsibility and at the expense of the dealer. Some dealers who are no longer in operation may have skipped this step. Again, would they catch everything? Not likely but the more pairs of eyes on the issue increase the chances of reducing problems that are chassis related.

I know that there are some rollers that have been resold a couple times before install was commenced. I doubt that they got much lovin' in terms of prep.

Shipping the car around for work is generally not needed. A phone call to one of the active, supporting dealers will likely get you the answer or at least in my case if I don't know the answer (and my wife would contend that is highly likely...) I can confab with Dennis Olthoff and others who have forgotten more than I ever knew. There is a support network out there, people just need to use it. The GT40 web Wiki was a good idea that didn't receive enough support to continue and I will take some of the blame for not contributing and promoting it as I should have. Having a source with pictures and repair/improvement/modifications as well as the instructions is a great idea. Perhaps we can revive it..........

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I can confab with Dennis Olthoff and others who have forgotten more than I ever knew. There is a support network out there, people just need to use it. The GT40 web Wiki was a good idea that didn't receive enough support to continue and I will take some of the blame for not contributing and promoting it as I should have. Having a source with pictures and repair/improvement/modifications as well as the instructions is a great idea. Perhaps we can revive it..........

Lynn's wiki concept is exactly what should be done, but the "factory" needs to actively drive it. And I understand the idea of there being a passive and informal support network but that's simply not enough for a complex 6-figure product that exists in the hundreds distributed across the US and Europe

All owners and shops (including local post-build maintenance shops) need ready access to all the technical information, and if there is a concern about proprietary information or product image the factory, the dealers, we owners and the independent shops need a private place to post information and conduct technical conversations. That would make discussions like the recent shock-mount issue go much more smoothly and with far less product image damage.

There are bits and pieces of this all over the place but someone needs to drive pulling it all together, and the logical, and probably only practical, choice is Superformance itself. They already have a website and they even have a "support" link that directs owners to SCOF (for reasons that I guess are historical) but SCOF is entirely inadequate for the GT40 for a variety of reasons. Superformance has the information. They have the financial motivation. And any number of us technically-inclined owners would be delighted to contribute as we do here.

Such a centralized and controlled-access portal would not be hard to set up, would save owners, dealers, installers and post-install shops a tremendous amount of time, would get the information out in a proactive rather than "call every month or listen to rumors" fashion, could serve as a profitable sales portal for upgrade and fix-it kits, and overall would result in happier owners who would go on to serve as product champions that would result in increased sales of the technically-superior Superformance GT40 against it's equal and lower-cost competitors. It just calls for a little initiative on the part of Superformance, the prime information holder. Leaving this in the hands of SCOF, Lynn Miner, GT40s.com, etc. is crazy. Superformance needs to control it's post-sales image, owner-experience and destiny.

This is a slam dunk.

Last edited:
Back