Airplane build

Chuck

Supporter
I know many who frequent this forum are pilots. So I am curious: who has built an airplane?

Looking for our next project . . . .

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I came [[[[this]]]] close to buying a Rutan Long-EZ kit.... The wife and I had a very long discussion about that one... I had done my research and found at the time that it was o ne of the safest planes out there with good range, great speed, great fuel conomy and reasonable gross weight along with some cargo capacity...

suffice it to say - I never built it - but one day......

I came [[[[this]]]] close to buying a Rutan Long-EZ kit.... The wife and I had a very long discussion about that one... I had done my research and found at the time that it was o ne of the safest planes out there with good range, great speed, great fuel conomy and reasonable gross weight along with some cargo capacity...

suffice it to say - I never built it - but one day......

True enough, but you must build it by the book. John Denver purchased a Long-EZ that had been built by a guy who made some "improvements" during his build. His tweeks ended up costing Denver his life.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
If I recall the accident report correctly, it was something about the positioning of the fuel selector switch. It was easy to kick the rudder pedal over when reaching for it, again if I remember correctly.

Chuck,

I am an airplane builder. I have built a gyrocopter and now am finishing the building of a sportplane. It is a two seat side by side taildragger called a Rans S16. Cruise is about 150mph for 800 miles. If you have any questions, send me an email mchristian at canetics dot com.

Mike Christian

Looked at building an aircraft many many times over the last few years. However, here in the UK, its just too expensive. With AVGAS about £1.80 a litre, even when they are built the expense continues.

Anyway, a friend of mine has just built a Falco. Its taken 6 years and cost £100K.

Here's the write up on it.

Attachments

• BldrLtr911.pdf
    692.7 KB · Views: 478
Chuck,

I was on a team of A&P's that built one of these for a private individual in Ct in 1984.

It had very complicated sheetmetal work and was completely flush riveted using hand bucked rivets. A T70 tub would be childs play by comparison.

SX300 Home

I would not want to do it again.

I work on airplanes every day so I'm not really all that interested in building one in my spare time. If I was, I would think this would be the one I would build.

Van's Aircraft - Aircraft Models: RV-8 8A Introduction

At the end of the day I think you have to figure out if you want to enjoy building and flying a general aviation aircraft for the experience of it or buy a certificated aircraft, say a Piper Archer. Both have their own advantages. The certificated aircraft is a far better investment.

Personally I'd go with the Archer and some Knots2U or Lo Presti speed mods.

If I can help just ask.

Scott

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
It is a two seat side by side taildragger called a Rans S16. Cruise is about 150mph for 800 miles. If you have any questions, send me an email mchristian at canetics dot com.

Hot.

S-16_side_pants.jpg

That's it! I have just painted mine in the three color Pacific Theater WWII paint scheme (dark blue on top, grey-blue on the sides and white on the bottom). Then I put period correct roundels on it and a digitized copy of my Father-In-Laws nose art. He was a Marine and flew SBDs and TBMs.

Attachments

• IMG_4755small.jpg
    IMG_4755small.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_4758small.jpg
    IMG_4758small.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_4760small.jpg
    IMG_4760small.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_4762small.jpg
    IMG_4762small.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_4749small.jpg
    IMG_4749small.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
I must say that there are some seriously talented people that are members here. Post up more pics as I have a feeling that the tech involved could cross over to what we are passionate about.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mike,

That's a beautiful aircraft!

Love the paint. I notice the red border on the US insignia, used for only a few months in 1943. Was your father-in-law flying SBDs in 1943?

I would have to look at his logbook Jim. He flew SBDs in the Virgin Islands - antisub, then moved to carrier based (CVE107) TBM and saw combat in Okinawa bombing kamakazi bases and close ground support. I suspect he was more late 1944-1945.

I took liberty on the paint scheme. I live near Chino, CA and the Planes of Fame museum and they had this scheme on a Hellcat and I really liked it. I prefer the red outline on the roundels. My FILs SDB had the white/grey Atlantic paint scheme and his TBM had a solid dark blue paint scheme.

The nose art was from his TBM days - the TBM wassometimes referred to as the "Turkey".

Last edited:
Post up more pics as I have a feeling that the tech involved could cross over to what we are passionate about.

In my mind they are very similar. This plane has a steel tube cockpit cage covered by 6 large moulded fiberglass shells that were bonded/riveted together. The wings and control surfaces are all riveted aluminum (I plan not to paint those). The kit was complete down to the washers.

The places I got to exercise my creativity were the avionics and the firewall forward. For avionics I have a GRT EFIS with built in GPS. This is fed via a serial bus by a GRT EIS which constantly analyzes the engine with some 20+ parameters. I also have a comm, a transponder, an interco, two trim systems and a video camera with monitor. Pretty basic fair weather sport plane.

Firewall forward I have a TCM IO240 (like the front engine on the Voyager around the world plane), dual Lightspeed electronic ignitions, and dual alternators. It should feed 130HP to the fixed pitch Sensenich wood prop (painted black with yellow tips of course). All the fuel system, ignition system, electrical system are all my own.

Very similar project to building a car.

Mike

Last edited:

Chuck

Supporter
This is what prompted my original queston. Been studying it in detail - Rotary 9 cylinder engine (made in Australia), two place, fabric cover.

Hatz Classic, based on the 1930's Waco.

Reality check: would probaly take about 2000 hours and would be strictly a fair weather flyer (20 hours a year?) Jag would take half that time, even with lots of detailing, and could be drive under IFR conditions.

So the dilema: build an XJ13 or a biplane?

Attachments

• 40HatzDetail.jpg
    40HatzDetail.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 17-66Flying[1].jpg
    17-66Flying[1].jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 292

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Drive up to Galesburg or wherever and see the Stearman fly-in...someone's bound to have one for sale, save yourself the trouble. Then build an XJ13 so I can see it.....

But the thrill is in the build !

I 'could' help you there Chuck, since you probably have a couple of Jag V12 motors lying dormant with the XJ project, why not a P51 @75% size, two seat, scratch build, like me you will probably never finish it, but it would still look impressive in the garage:thumbsup:

Chuck,

Like Jim say's go to the Stearman fly-in.

See if someone has a basket case to buy and restore it.

Or get a subscription to Trade-A - Plane.

Then you have an airplane that has A MFG's type certificate and real residual value, plus you get to "build" it.

I know where there is a near complete Jacobs "Shakey -Jake" in a barn just waiting for someone to tune her up.

Radial engine test start, Jacobs L4MB a.k.a. "Shakey Jake" - YouTube

As far as VFR hours thats mostly up to you.

I used to put 50- 60 a year on my Archer.

Chuck

Supporter
I 'could' help you there Chuck, since you probably have a couple of Jag V12 motors lying dormant with the XJ project, why not a P51 @75% size, two seat, scratch build, like me you will probably never finish it, but it would still look impressive in the garage:thumbsup:

Hard to imagine the Jag V12 in anything intended to get off the ground. Almost done tearing apart the one that will become a coffee table. Just the crank weighs more than my boat anchor.

A local chap is building a three quarter size P51. He is using a Cadillac Northstar engine. That will be interesting.

There is or was maybe! an outfit in the UK selling Spitfire plans for use with the Jag V12, remember an article in Sport Aviation on the engine install, yep the crankshaft is hefty, just think of it as a 351w crank with a couple of extra journals:)

Back