Ear Plugs

How often do you wear ear plugs in your GT40 when you're driving on public roads?

I wear them every time.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I wore them once, on my first drive, from Reno NV to the bay area, after that, although loud, the plugs were uncomfortable and the noise was not that bad.

After a few months, I put Dynamat, bubble insulation on the firewall and filled some voids with foam. This made a huge difference in noise and heat. But by far the best thing was the thick Lexan, firewall window, big improvement.

I love the sound of my Roush 427R. No dynamat or other soundproofing. No earplugs for me. That's part of why I love the car.

Mike

I have used ear plugs but found ear buds and some great driving music better but only if I'm going to be driving for more than hour.

Almost 8K miles and not one with a covered ear. The wife on the other hand, she won't get in the 40 without her Ipod :rolleyes:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
But by far the best thing was the thick Lexan, firewall window, big improvement.

I still have the upgraded glass bulkhead window with thicker rubber edge seals available (hint, hint....shameless self promotion!)

I have about twenty of these out in the field on SPF 40s and have had good reports back.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
I still have the upgraded glass bulkhead window with thicker rubber edge seals available (hint, hint....shameless self promotion!)

I have about twenty of these out in the field on SPF 40s and have had good reports back.

Send me info or a link please. Thanks, Robert

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Dennis Olthoff installed thicker glass on the bulkhead window and that made a fair difference. The GT40 is quieter for the driver than a Cobra. Still more than 100 decibles when driving on the highway, however. Just depends on how quickly you want to lose your hearing. I wear earplugs for longer drives.

I don't wear ear plugs because of additional noise control materials in the car. One of the materials we manufacture is for noise control and absorption. I have downloaded an App called Sound Meter from Smart tools on my Droid. CAT uses the system in there equipment. I also have an NIST instrument here at the plant used for noise measurement in the environment, but haven't run a side by side comparison of the two. I feel the app may read a slightly higher reading than the NIST meter. If you want a baseline try the app out.

I have downloaded an App called Sound Meter from Smart tools on my Droid. CAT uses the system in there equipment. I also have an NIST instrument here at the plant used for noise measurement in the environment, but haven't run a side by side comparison of the two. I feel the app may read a slightly higher reading than the NIST meter. If you want a baseline try the app out.

Speaking of sound meters, for those with iPods, there's a free app called db from Skypa. You can download it from iTunes, just do a search on decibel meter. You can record a sound session in your car for a base line, then compare the trend after you make changes.

I like to stay connected to my car and hear what's going on with the motor and any other noises (suspension) that might develop along the way. However, I have used the foam ear plugs on extended road trips in the Cobra (6 days for Cruise Colorado), when it's windy and we're on a fast stretch of open road. My hearing's already shot from being around jet or turbine aircraft for so many years. :shout:

Back in the day Ray (at GTD) experimented with an air gap, double pain bulkhead window. It seemed to help but took a special sub frame to mount.

Back