Scratch build from a Amalgam model

Hi all

I was browsing through an old copy of Octane magazine and came across a company called Amalgam who make the most amazing 1/8th scale model cars and have now started making kits with every component from an original car faithfully replicated

M5248-KIT_1294928925.jpg__800__0.png

M5248-SEB_1314781809.jpg__800__0.png

M5248-SEB_1271671200.jpg__800__0.png

M5248-SEB_1271671208.jpg__800__0.png

It got me thinking about some of the guys on here working on scratch builds and how they go about building their cars. Do you think with one of these models and some original measurements you'd be able to accurately replicate a cars non mechanical parts, chassis, body etc?

Surely having a physical 3D representation would be a great benefit to any builder to see the various angles of components etc that you can't always see from photos.

So I guess my main question is where do you start with a scratch build and do people use models for reference? Obviously using original parts or moulds makes life easier with a scratch build but without having access to either of these how do you get started?

Trev

Hi all

So I guess my main question is where do you start with a scratch build and do people use models for reference? Obviously using original parts or moulds makes life easier with a scratch build but without having access to either of these how do you get started?

Trev

Well in my case. I got some pics of GT 40s. I new the wheelbase was 95", I also new a few other measuremnts from reading books, and it was then just a case of scaling measurements

Thats how I got started....That was 20 yrs ago, Im now half way through building my third chassis. I will post some pics soon

Hi all

I was browsing through an old copy of Octane magazine and came across a company called Amalgam who make the most amazing 1/8th scale model cars and have now started making kits with every component from an original car faithfully replicated

M5248-SEB_1271671200.jpg__800__0.png

It got me thinking about some of the guys on here working on scratch builds and how they go about building their cars. Do you think with one of these models and some original measurements you'd be able to accurately replicate a cars non mechanical parts, chassis, body etc?

Surely having a physical 3D representation would be a great benefit to any builder to see the various angles of components etc that you can't always see from photos.

Trev

hi & sure....YES WE CAN :thumbsup:

...so i do to replicate my favorite cars ( see my post about the 300sl )

...enclosed pictures showing the uhlenhaut coupe ( 2 cars made ) never sold to anybody....

for building such a car, i make an virtual 3d model ( 3ds max ) with reference pictures & a 1/18 model, then dismantle to slices,print them & use as template for a wooden frame & so on. this type you can build a positive mold and use it either for GFK_Negative or to do panelling with sheet metal directly !!!
at the moment iám planning to built an MATRA M650 wiht supercharged bike engine !!!!

here is one of my preferred cars........:shy:
SDC12211.jpg

SDC12212.jpg

SDC12214.jpg

Well in my case. I got some pics of GT 40s. I new the wheelbase was 95", I also new a few other measuremnts from reading books, and it was then just a case of scaling measurements

Thats how I got started....That was 20 yrs ago, Im now half way through building my third chassis. I will post some pics soon

Hi Mick

I actually just happened to be flicking through the latest GT40 enthusiasts magazine and spotted your article on you monocoque chassis. The project looks great Mick, keep up the good work and good article

Trev

hi TrevS,

here´s a rough version of a 3d MK4 iám doing, wheelbases and other dimensional data you can get via www.ultimatecarpage ect.

View attachment 56542

View attachment 56543

Looks like your using 3DS max for the modelling. I am actually quite handy with max so can you tell me if engineering companies can work from 3DS models if the model is made using correct measurements or do you have to export the models to CAD?

I've actually been thinking of learning solidworks as that seems to be the very good for engineering projects

Trev

Looks like your using 3DS max for the modelling. I am actually quite handy with max so can you tell me if engineering companies can work from 3DS models if the model is made using correct measurements or do you have to export the models to CAD?

I've actually been thinking of learning solidworks as that seems to be the very good for engineering projects

Trev

Hi TrevS,

yes iám working with 3ds Max, also with other 3d programs. It belongs to how precise you want to recreate a car.
as long as you can provide any of the following formats (*.3ds / *.dwg / *.dxf / *.obj ) to engineering companies, i think that will work for them ( say they use mastercamX to route their cnc centre, they can load and transfer any of those formats into the cnc ) on the other hand you have to be 99,99% perfect while the hole Pc/engineering process.

for me that doesn`t matter, i do it the old way ( see the pics ), only shapes matter to me + which plattform i will use. iám not at this level, there i can 99,99% recreate a whole car. Take my Gullwing, it will use the proven & reliable running gear from Merc SLK. Or for Trackday_Toy my Matra M650 "recreation"....to match the power & noises i will use a simple lightweight frame with some sort of hayabusa or Kawa zx12 engine.
Things has to be as simple and cheap as possible........

section body.jpg
sectioning a body2.jpg

It's great for mechanicals but I find it tricky for body shapes/parts. I think there are better/easier programs for the 3d curves of a car.

Try RhinoCAD 3D. They have a full trial version that lets you save 25 times. Other than that, it's very good at body meshes.

well well well,

if he is already familiar with 3dsMax he can use it for all his needs.
Every 3d Prog has its own workflow you must handle, for mechanical components there are better progs for sure ( ProE, Catia ect. ) i already tried to use them.....

....honestly, iám converting the 3dsMax drawings & using them partially in GoogleSketchupPro......because of its simplicity. At least i dont need to create *cadfiles to produce parts with a cnc_centre.
If i will enter the Level of RaceCarReplica .... and produce complicated suspensions ect. i have to deal with more prfessional 3d applications:shocked:

best case the build from Fred W B.....the most he uses is craftmanship:thumbsup: so i do !!!!

greets from AUSTRIA

I guess if I was going to have a stab at a scratch build it would be for a Lola B08/60 as I already have some original body parts for a B08/60 and the rest can be sourced from Lola but creating the monocoque would the the trickiest job.

What about getting a large (1/8 or 1/5 ) scale model and using a 3d scanner to create a 3D version. Then scan the real world parts I have like and then adjusting the scale model scans to match the real world scans in something like 3ds max? So it's effectively reverse engineering the scale model.

I've seen one of these scanners in action and was amazed at how well and quickly it worked
Artec Scanner - Carburetor Scanning - YouTube

***....What about getting a large (1/8 or 1/5 ) scale model and using a 3d scanner to create a 3D version. Then scan the real world parts I have like and then adjusting the scale model scans to match the real world scans in something like 3ds max? So it's effectively reverse engineering the scale model. ***

....the same way i thought some time ago :idea: just generate the 3d_data via 3d_scanner, hook up data to a industrial robot with milling head & iám fine !!!
....robot 10-15k, scanner mhhh lets say 10k ect.:shifty: theoretically possible & would be the ultimate workshop:shocked:

...so i ended as the same craftsman i was before & its ok

BUT if you find someone who is doing 3d scans ( REVscan, Handyscan...) subcontracted.....you will end up with some nice 3d _data ( hopefully ) & have to look for another solution to produce the molds and so on !!!!

Back