Dumb oil temp sender question

Showing my ignorance, anybody know the thread patterns for the oil temp sender and that of the forward bung on an Aviad oil pan. I've got to find an adaptor to mate the two.

I'm guessing that the oil pan is 3/4 npt, the sender looks to be 5/8th something or other (pipe?)

Thanks.

It takes a special brass adapter. The flang around the the temp sender has to seal around a shoulder in the bung. Look at any of the big online speed shops it's the same one used for the alter temp sender

By way of follow up, the thread pattern for the mechanical temp sender is called a 5/8ths-18 UNF, the Aviad pan has a 1/2 in NPT thread.

And, yes, they can be found at most online retailers, sometimes in your local stores too. Just need to know to ask for a "mechanical" temp sender adapter.

99% of you probably already knew that...for the other 1%, hope its of some use.

Showing my ignorance, anybody know the thread patterns for the oil temp sender and that of the forward bung on an Aviad oil pan. I've got to find an adaptor to mate the two.

I'm guessing that the oil pan is 3/4 npt, the sender looks to be 5/8th something or other (pipe?)

Thanks.
Ron,
I had a problem getting a good read on oil temp when using the Avid oil pan bung on my 427FE. It just didn't show correct temp or no temp. The oil cooler read 180 degrees using a point and read temp gun, but no oil temp on the gauge. I finally used one of the plugged fittings on the oil filter adapter to get a better, and accurate, real time temp. It seems the air stream under the car cooled the reading.
Grady

Grady,

Thanks. At the moment I'm not using an adaptor. Eventually, I plan on mounting a radiator at the rear of the car (ala 1075/1076), so I haven't plumbed the SPF cooler, and probably won't.

Eventually, I'll use a sandwich adaptor, an accumulator and the radiator...with an HP3 sitting on the adaptor. I'll have to look for one with a fitting to plumb temp sender.

In the mean time, I wonder if some sort of shield or insulation might help to get accurate readings.

Grady,

Thanks. At the moment I'm not using an adaptor. Eventually, I plan on mounting a radiator at the rear of the car (ala 1075/1076), so I haven't plumbed the SPF cooler, and probably won't.

Eventually, I'll use a sandwich adaptor, an accumulator and the radiator...with an HP3 sitting on the adaptor. I'll have to look for one with a fitting to plumb temp sender.

In the mean time, I wonder if some sort of shield or insulation might help to get accurate readings.

Did the shield thing and it was too cool to register unless you were stopped. I used the oil cooler only to get a reference as to how warm the oil was getting. I couldn't keep my hand on top of the cooler. That is how found out the oil temp of 170-180F. Moving the probe to the oil filter adapter works by the time the water temp hits 80 degrees. It takes a while to warm up 12 quarts of Valvoline racing oil. Lots of iron casting. When it gets very cold and I want to take it out, I preheat the oil and block with an aircraft silicone heat pad bonded to the bottom of the pan. takes about 20 minutes.

Back