Front clip alignment

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Another issue I am in the midst of addressing is the poor alignment on the front clip. Driver doors actually binds against fender when opening. It appears the alignment dohicky was not attached in the correct location. This sucks the fender too far in. I am thinking I will drill out the rivets, rotate a few degrees and drill some new holes moving out to the correct location. Is there anything on the bottom side of the rivets maybe washers or something that will fall off when I push the old ones out and be impossible to refit without removing the rocker panel? Thanks.

alignment1.jpg

alignment2.jpg

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Michael,

That "alignment device" is not SPF factory and has been added.

I suggest you take the male striker pin off the clip and then check the alignment. That will tell you if the pin is forcing the clip rearward. I assume you have adjusted the eccentric in the clip mounting? If you are at the limits of the eccentric adjustment you could move the plate that the eccentric slots into rearward thus moving the clip forward. That will require new holes and fastners as the amount you need to move it will cause the new holes required to overlap the existing holes. Just drill new holes in the plate at least .5" from the existing holes in the FRP and you should be OK.

I doubt that there is anything on the bottom of the rivets so go for it.

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Rick, I did check the eccentric. I think I have solved the problem by drilling out the existing rivets, rotating the disk slightly and drilling new holes aligning the clip correctly. This moved the fender out slightly about an 1/8" which solves the door/fender binding issue and correctly aligns the fender with the rocker panel. Easy fix Jack :)

2012012108.jpg

Back