Interested in importing a Cobra starter kit

Hello,

I have read several of the posts regarding importation of cobras/starter kits etc. I am interested in bringing a Kirkham starter kit into Canada.

I have read the macro auto leasing case as well as others involving importation of parts with regard to Cobras and, as I see it, a person should be able to show up at the border with their starter kit and cross with it as a personal import of auto parts. Does a person really need to go through the pain of a pre-approval process with Transport Canada?

Would really appreciate your thought/ advice :)

regards, Bob

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
If only it were that simple. You can try just showing up with some parts but chances are you will be rejected.....or worse TC will "visit" you later and declare your kit in violation. Your choices at that point will be to export or surrender the parts.

Feel free to PM me and I will put you in touch with our Canadian agent who can help answer questions and arrange legal importation of most products built by Hi Tech Automotive ("Superformance") into Canada. He can also provide details for importation of other brands that we do not carry.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Bob,

How you see it is how it should be, however Transport Canada has decided (as I understand it) to ignore the precedence of the Macro case as though it never happened. They continue to enforce their interpretation of the rules and have the weight of Government intimidation on their side.

I don't think that any major challenge has occurred since that case, and there ARE definitely cars getting through, but as suggested, having an "expert" look after this for you is likely the best way to proceed.

Best of luck!

Mark

Back