Dead Pedal

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The original type dead pedal will not fit on a LHD car. On the RHD the pedal hangs over the tunnel in the center, on a LHD this would place it into the tub wall. Steve has a good solution for the LHD dead pedal.

Hmmmm. I agree with Rick, and as such this begs the question and not to steal this thread but where do most of us rest their left foot when driving? My LHD CAV car is like the SPF in that there is no place to put a dead pedal so I rest my left foot on the tub wall. Anyone else got another solution? Someone once mentioned a small piece of angle iron placed strategically might be an option.

John if you come up with a plan please let us know I'd be very interested in how you resolve this issue.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
A 90 degree piece attached to the tub wall will work if placed right. You can rest the left side of your show on it. I would put an angled piece that mates to the tub farther forward to keep your foot from getting caught when letting off the clutch.-, i.e. a "ramp" to prevent entanglemet of your foot.

Rick, I'm liking this idea....have you ever done one as you suggest? I'd like to see a photo if you have or anyone else has done this. I think I get the picture but a real picture is worth a 1000 words they say. :)

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick, I'm liking this idea....have you ever done one as you suggest? I'd like to see a photo if you have or anyone else has done this. I think I get the picture but a real picture is worth a 1000 words they say. :)

Sorry no pictures, BUT I have a another GT coming for stock later this month and I'll get some photos of the setup. Currently we are "GT Less" as all are sold.

I lightly rest my foot on the clutch pedal or drop it down. When I do that, it rests against the pedal arm.

Whether it's my imagination or not, it feels like I'm slowly decreasing the room between the top of the pedal throw and the firewall, as if the hydraulic fluid is slowly disengaging the clutch or loosing pressure.

I'm thinking just a small edge of aluminum to rest the edge of my "show," as New Yorkers apparently call foot apparel, would work but I'll have to pay attention to Rick's comment about clearance when using the clutch.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
A 90 degree piece attached to the tub wall will work if placed right. You can rest the left side of your show on it. I would put an angled piece that mates to the tub farther forward to keep your foot from getting caught when letting off the clutch.-, i.e. a "ramp" to prevent entanglemet of your foot.

Given the stock dead pedal won't work the version of this I plan is a folded piece of sheet metal which looking at from the bottom (LHD car) would be:

(front) _|\_ (rear)

Thus the rear ramp is built into the piece; the corner between pedal surface and ramp surface can be formed "round" so there's less chance of catching a sole on the edge.

PS Rick: not with my car so I can't check this right now, but what if one pushed the footwell sheetmetal out to provide room for the stock one? Is there anything close behind it? By how much does it not fit?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Given the stock dead pedal won't work the version of this I plan is a folded piece of sheet metal which looking at from the bottom (LHD car) would be:

(front) _|\_ (rear)

Thus the rear ramp is built into the piece; the corner between pedal surface and ramp surface can be formed "round" so there's less chance of catching a sole on the edge.

PS Rick: not with my car so I can't check this right now, but what if one pushed the footwell sheetmetal out to provide room for the stock one? Is there anything close behind it? By how much does it not fit?

Yes,
That is the profile of the piece. You can't bump out the steel at the pedal, it would interfere with the bracket that the arm and shock are attached to. Better to just have your foot surgically altered, after all you wouldn't alter a GT40 tub!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Cut a hole in the tub, so you can rest your foot on the spinning tire, and it will just wear your foot down as you need. Then repair the tub, and you will have a custom foot for your GT40. Never mind all that red stuff, it cleans up pretty well.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Cut a hole in the tub, so you can rest your foot on the spinning tire, and it will just wear your foot down as you need. Then repair the tub, and you will have a custom foot for your GT40. Never mind all that red stuff, it cleans up pretty well.

Keep in mind you will need all new custom shoes!

After many months sitting at home the original pedal box is now fitted into the car.

It really looks good!

See the dead pedal, which as stated before in this thread, in a RHD car does not present any problems.

Last edited:
I have tried for a long time to come up with a Dead Pedal for my car. I tried like Allan to fabricate a piece of stainless for the DP. This didn't work out too good. It was cumbersome and was difficult to place it where it would be comfortable. That idea was scratched long ago.I didn't want to weld anything to the wall as it would leave marks on the outside of the stainless panels. When I made my foot rest for the passenger side, it gave me an idea for the DP.
P1010059.jpg

P1010058-1.jpg

The DRB uses the corvette suspension and the housing is in the cabin and give a good platform for the DP.

P1010006-3.jpg

I had some left over pieces of my old trailing arms, which is what the foot rest is made from, and this is what I came up with. It needs to be cleaned up but it is in and is very comfortable. It is away from the clutch pedal and gives me room to move my size 11s around.

P1010007.jpg

Maybe this will give you guys some ideas.

Bill

Certainly does Bill......I'm just wondering if I have that kind of space in #82 CAV. I think I might just have enough room. Many thanks.

Back