Daytona MK1 1049 1967

Hi
Does any one know what the two teardrop bulges are on the front clip either side of the orange stripe near the front it shows up in all the photos I have and seen in GT40 books.
I have modled my car on that one it would make an interesting adition, it was a road car bought by Grady Davis of GULF and converted to race at Datona

Cheers
Dave

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
This shows them. I wondered as well what those were for.

MC1_5386.jpg

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I remember seeing photos of them as well, I'm only guessing but their location must have something to do with radiator or radiatior hose clearance.

Thanks Mark
A great shot one, I have not seen before, I can work off of that for scale

Thanks Chris
I had the same idea to do with the radiator area, why I dont know as it was a road car to start with and I have never seen anything like it on other GT40s
Cheers Dave

You may find this page from the Racing Icons website on the restoration of 1049 both interesting and frustrating:

Ford GT40 Restoration - Chassis 1049

In spite of the bulges appearing in several of the photos, and lots of detailed information about 1049's unique features, there is no mention, much less explanation, of the bulges. There are two photos, one of the front compartment with the access panel removed and one with the entire front clip removed, that seem to show that there was nothing internal requiring clearance to account for the bulges. In fact, photos of the car at Sebring in 1969 and 1970, when it was owned by Francis Grant, show it running with a front clip without bulges.

Steve Sobieralski

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
I remember seeing photos of them as well, I'm only guessing but their location must have something to do with radiator or radiatior hose clearance.

The only thing I can guess is that it helps in removing and installing the front clip, gives extra clearance on the sides of the radiator. In the photos of the front clip nothing occupies that space as the radiator is the same all the way across (although the nose does curve down on each side) and the hoses are at the bottom.

I guess it could be an aerodynamic feature as well.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
How much air pressure would build up in front of a radiator at 150 plus mph?

Could it be an attampt to bleed off some of that air pressure whilst still retaining enough airflow for the radiator to work correctly?

Just a thought

Ian

Hi Guys
This item seems to have got everyone interested.
I have the Racing icons photos which show the rad clear of the clip,so yes it is a bit of a mistery, maybe I will try them for info if they will talk to a replica enthusiast.
Any way thanks to you all for the ideas and the intrest.
now all I have to do is deside if I will do the job.
I have just changed the rear lights to the early configeration with two small single lamps break and indicater one above the other as 1049 had and shows in the Racing Icons photos, now I have done the job I like the look better than the Fiat lamp
Cheers
Dave

The radiator sits so high in 1032 it is an interference fit at the corners, right where those bulges are. The nose actually cracked at both locations. Maybe 1049 had similar issues.

Back