Performance Kit Cars Available in 2005

Hello all. I'm researching a work of fiction involving racing I was hoping some of the knowledgeable folks here could help me in trying to keep it more or less factual and period.

Question: What high performance cars were available in kit form in 2005? (I'm looking for the first half of 2005 in particular, but I'm not fussy.) To be more specific, I'd like to hear about any and all 2-door, 2-seat kit cars that were available which were designed primarily for performance. (All convertible and replica kits would be included as long as it's performance.)

From articles I've found, I already know that the Ultima GTR and Ultima Can-Am were available in 2005. I tried to figure out if the Superlite Coupe and other RCR cars were available in 2005, but after looking at the RCR and Superlite websites (and searching YouTube videos) I haven't yet figured that out.

Such availability info (for RCR kits or any similar to fit my criteria) would be appreciated!

Xpace/bsperan
As I mentioned in my email to you yesterday the SL-C was conceived in 2005 and serious development started in 2006 but was not available for sale until 2008.
Some of our other products were available in 2005 ...what particluar models are you looking to find out about ?

Doing more research, I'm now beginning to see how broad the subject of kit cars really is. I've since found this Kit Car List site which covers over 750 different manufacturers. :shocked: I knew there were more than a few, but I didn't realize there was quite so many choices.

As for the particular models, I'm not really sure, aside from the criteria I mentioned: 2-door, (at least) 2 seats and a heavy emphasis on performance (coupe or possibly a convertible with a good roll bar, but no roadster). Whether or not a kit is for a vehicle that is highly desirable or a replica of a revered classic are not much of a consideration for the characters. It's supercars they're into. The characters aim to one day race in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, so I'm trying to keep that in mind.

One of the two main protagonists is a huge Ford fan, so (after consideration) I'm now fairly certain either a GT40 or GT70 kit would be the character's choice, perhaps with a supercharged Mustang 5-liter V8 engine.

The other protagonist is a Nissan and Porche fan. Since the SL-C was not available in 2005, I was leaning towards the Ultima Can-Am, probably with a Nissan or Porche engine. But I'm looking at other options, too.

I was surprised to see (body) kits for the Carrera GT and I would consider that. However, since the actual cars were manufactured from 2004 to 2006, I really doubt such kits were available in 2005.

Last edited:

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
What is the significance of the kit having been available in 2005 if this is a future racing endeavor?

There is considerable preexisting story. And it starts out taking place in 2004, but the story is about to transition into 2005. FYI: This is for fan fiction. (Though, there is some ongoing talk and interest in turning it into a fan-produced animation series.)

Back