Brake pipe flaring tool

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm using copper/nickel pipe and my old clamp style tool is just not up to the job. Don't want to spend hundreds if I can help it.

Jon,

A few years back I bought a Mastercool hydraulic flaring kit. It does double flares, sigle flares, metric bubble flares, GM fuel line flares, and push lock flares. The only thing it doesn't do is 37 degree AN or JIC flares. You need an extra set of dies for these (which I bought at the same time). It wasn't cheap, but after years of fighting with cheap flaring tools and sometimes not having the right tool when needed, I decided to spring for it. I am happy with it, the only downside, it is big. Sometimes when you want to make a flare in a tight space you can't do it without removing the line. It is also heavy and sometimes three hands helps when making a flare in place. If I get a chance I will try to look up where I bought it. I am sure it was an ebay vendor, but also sure that he was about a $100 below what others wanted at the time. Was worried, but it showed up in a few days in all new packaging.

Bill

Jon:
That Masterkool tool that bill is describing is awesome. Uses well made sets of dies, with a straight-on hydraulic ram. It also has no problem double flaring stainless tubing.
Cheers
Phil

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Jon:
That Masterkool tool that bill is describing is awesome. Uses well made sets of dies, with a straight-on hydraulic ram. It also has no problem double flaring stainless tubing.

There are some videos on the mfr. pages here: Mastercool Inc., Flaring Tools

I have a variant of that tool for tube swaging (expanding) and just love it. I wrecked it expanding stainless, for which it is not rated, and the mfr politely replaced it at no cost.

If I needed another tubing flarer I would buy this one in a heartbeat.

Here it is for ~$230 but that seems be as low as it goes. http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=MAS71300&source=froogle&kw=MAS71300

Last edited:
If your looking to do a really professional job, i think these expensive ones are the way to go. I have used those cheap ones with the split die, and they work, but they are a lot of trouble and only do a single flare. If i was building a car, i would definitely look at these expensive ones.
Professional Brake Tubing Flaring Tool - Brake Flaring Tool - Brake Tube Flaring
Flare Pro 4 in 1 Flaring and Swaging Tool

I have this tool, and have enjoyed using it recently while making new 3/16" stainless brake lines on the SLC (I decided I wanted the front brake lines to run outside the car instead of inside).

I haven't pressure-tested the flares, but they appear to be identical to the factory flares. I only made one test flare before I felt confident that my flares were being made properly.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I got tired of the cheap versions and splashed out for the Brakequip BQ351 flaring tool. Not cheap, but it produces perfect flares every time effortlessly.

Julian

Hi,
Take a look on E-bay for Sykes-Pickavant brake pipe flaring tools. £150 ish. Had mine for years and gives perfect flares every time on copper nickle or steel pipe. Cam action rather than the fiddly screw in type.

Jerry

Back