DOT windshields?

I'd like to build a body to go on my Lotus Europa frame (I have the whole car) I'm thinking something like a Lola t70/Chevron B16. Only real draw back to making one or even finding a real body is getting a DOT approved windshield. There are no "factory" main streem cars that have a windshield curved enough to "look right" om that type of body. The Viper is probably the closest production car. I really like the B16 body but no one makes one today for the road (kit car). If anyone could point me in the right dirrection I'd be very gratefull. I have quite a bit of fiberglass experience so even a dammaged body would not be a biggy. But a windshield is a must & I could make my own body if needed. In fact that would actually be fun. I love to design & build stuff like that.
Cheers
Mike

A PS: I have been thinking of maybe building an aluminum "tub" that would fit over the backbone of the Lotus frame. With side pods & floor to give a more accurate look to any body I do.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
This may be a roundabout way of saying what Molleur just said, but having just finished reading the new Jag XJ-13 book and learning that its windshield is still being made (sort of) its windshield springs to mind. I suspect Fran could supply one or you might be able to get one the way other XJ-13 builders do.

jaguar_xj13_1966-L.jpg

I love the XJ-13 (got a model of it in the den) But a B-16 is probably more in line with size of a Lotus Europa. I'd have to check what the wheel base is in comparison. I fell in love with the design back when it was still available as a kit car. But have no idea if there are any of the windshields availabe today

Yes Alan I understood your intent. I probably should talk to them at RCR about a T-70 windshield or 917 as those are probably closer to the shape/configuration I'd need. The roadstir/spider versions are even harder to envision in a DOT. Probably a late C-1 Corvette is the closest I could come for one of those. I'll probably use one on my Devin body.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
That sounds like a fun project; I hope you'll keep us posted. There was a time when I and both of my brothers each owned a Europa TC (one 4 spd, one 5 spd, one JPS). One thing that car always needed was a better looking body.

Mike S.
The Corvette C-1 (1953-1962) windshield should work on your Devin with some fiberglass work needed for the bottom contour which is "flatter" on the 'Vette.

I think it should do just right. I've seen other Devins that they said used C-1 Vette windshields. But a little FG work is no big deal to me. You should see all the mods I'm doing to the body LOL

I just heard from Chevron in the UK. Their B-16 windshields are cut down Marcos units. Well that doesn't help too much. Try to find a Marcos windshield here in the states LOL

I had actually started doing something very simmular. With a tilt nose & tail sections. I'd had a Europa when I was in college in the early 70s & got really tired of leaning over those rear wings. So when I bought this one from a neighbor I decided to make the tail hinge at the rear away from the cab. For ease of maintenance. This is just the cab section up on saw horses after I took the frame out from under it just the other day. (if the pix load right that is LOL0
P3140007.jpg

P3140006.jpg

P3140004.jpg

Back