P/1108 for sale/sold (good detail photos)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Handsome car. Yes, this is a MkIII- I think the coolant tubes give it away. But it has a Mark I nose, and tail, which is all to the good.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
:thumbsup:Very nice Jim,
It even has original Armstrong shocks on the suspension.
Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
I notice that this was also originally a left hand drive chassis, judging by the two windscreen wiper sections at the base of the windscreen.

Very nice pics

I might just don't see it, I am missing the length adjustment ( dono if this is the right word) on the driveshaft....to my knowledge the originals did use a sliding sleeve right ? Or is it just hidden on the pics ....

Very nice pics

I might just don't see it, I am missing the length adjustment ( dono if this is the right word) on the driveshaft....to my knowledge the originals did use a sliding sleeve right ? Or is it just hidden on the pics ....

No, GT40 driveshafts were fixed-length. They used a Universal joint on the hub side, and a Metalastik bushing on the transaxle side. This flexible coupler absorbs rotational shock loads and also allows for in-and-out flex.

Very nice photos. I notice it looks like they may have replaced the door windows with SPF ones with the recessed flange that the vent window fits down into for a seal.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mark,

You are right, those look just like SPF windows, even the aluminum brackets are the same. I wonder if they just fit right in, or needed any modification?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Nope. There is one for sale in CA at Fantasy Junction, I think they are asking about 2.6 million. And I think Canepa Designs had one recently for a similar price. These are cars without much competition history if any, so one with comp history or LM history would cost more. They have turned into a serious blue chip item, that is for certain.

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Guys the car in this photo is a MK1, unless for some reason one of the 6 original MKlll's were made to MK1 specs. The road going GT has a completely different look to the car in the orig post.

MKlll:
112 0311 Mk111 L Photo - Mobile

Looking at the registry 1108 is not in the Mlll class, 1101-1107 are Mlll cars, 1108 is referred to as a P car. It states, Post production chassis completed in 1971, sold as a bare chassis along with 1109. Purchased by David Piper. i think the misunderstanding is that while it was originally a street car it was not a MKlll version of the street cars (all built in 1967) but a street going MKl.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Interesting. Does anyone else think that the water pipes are going to the sills? Didn't Mark IIIs have the water send and return pipes in the sponsons? I could easily be wrong on this. There isn't any question it's got Mark I bodywork, though.

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Interesting. Does anyone else think that the water pipes are going to the sills? Didn't Mark IIIs have the water send and return pipes in the sponsons? I could easily be wrong on this. There isn't any question it's got Mark I bodywork, though.

It could easily have this detail from the MKlll, but the fact that it was built in '71 from an unused chassis kind of kills the notion that it was one of the original 67 MKlll's doesn't it?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
That car was for sale at the Monterey auction when we met Jim, it had been dressed as a Mk3 and was wearing Mk1 body work then too....I remember a discussion about it with Chris Melia..it had the bumps on the nose then too...

Last edited:
Back