Window cut outs

Window cut outs, how much of a flange do you leave at each opening
to fasten the windows to ?
and the top front of the doors upper hinge area how much can you remove before there are problems?

This is what I have done:
Windscreen = 3/4" all around
Door windows = one-inch all around, put a large radius at front lower corner.
Rear lexan = 1.5" at the top to match the "horseshoe", and 1" all around (except at top). I have cut mine this way, but have seen a 2" all around that looks good too with black borders.
Note: if you plan on using high door mounted race mirrors, you will need to leave a
good bit of a triangle shape in the upper front of the doors to attach them (exact shape to be determined by the mirrors used). The lexan side windows will also need to be trimmed to suit. There should be no issues with the upper door hinges.

Others may differ.

I was going to use the low mounted mirror's, so I would like to open up the top corner where the upper hinge is as must as possible If I take out the triangle will it be to weak ?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
I was going to use the low mounted mirror's, so I would like to open up the top corner where the upper hinge is as must as possible If I take out the triangle will it be to weak ?

Grant - I hope not since that's how all of the earlier cars had their door window openings cut out (including mine).

Regards,
Dave L

Pay Fran to do the cutouts. It's cheap enough and if he screws up, well, better him than you, hah.

To late Alex the car is sitting in my garage 3000 miles away. It will be really easy to do just need to know where to cut, so far I haven't seen any pic's on the door window cut outs. I can see mounting the doors hinges could be a challange as well without instructions hoping they will come with the rest of my parts.
Cheers,

Would photos such as this be helpful to you? I have a bunch should you wish to take a gander.

Attachments

• ns_1104112_717.jpg
    ns_1104112_717.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 511
Fran cut mine rear clip and used 2" all around. i think it looks good with the lexan painted black.

At the top, front, the clip is least supported. the more you can leave here, the more support to the clip, id think...

Attachments

• rear lexan.JPG
    rear lexan.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 471
OK so I started to cut out the windshield opening. So for anyone building a SL-C with the interior kit pieces do not use 3/4" or 1" as a measurement for the windshield opening or you will have issues.
Fit your dash and then put your inner front pillars covers tight to the inner body and mark your lines on to the body. you may want to remove the center section then cut from the inside out or drill small reference holes along the line and cut between the holes from the outside. you will find something closer to 1" at the top 1.125" at the bottom and 1.75" on the sides with different radius's at the top and bottom.

I stand corrected .75" is the windshield cutout measurement and then some fancy window painting or the windshield won't quite fit.

Back