Register car in Canada

Hey any of you Canadian guys, can u help me out on the steps you had to take to register your car in Canada. I'm in Alberta, do I just need Out of Provence Inspection, or is there more to it?

I am in Ontario and just got my SLC registered last week. I had a receipt for body and chassis from RCR, do not show receipt for entire kit. I also had to have the original certificate of origin for chassis also provided by RCR. Receipt for transaxle and engine plus proof of taxes paid. All major components must be from 3 seperate suppliers. I than took all 3 receipts and had my lawyer make up an sworn affidavid. The license office used the VIN# that is on the certificate of origin and registered the make as superlite and the model as KIT. Technically you are not supposed to do this until car is complete but no one asks for pics so once you have the 3 receipts and certificate of origin you can get an unfit ownership and at least put fire and theft insurance on it.

I remeber in Texas the main thing they wanted to see was a serial number on the recipt for the engine and transaxle to make sure they werent stolen. So i handwrote them on the receipt the night before. Dooh!

They didnt want a serial # on the chassis and actually wanted to assign this, then i pounded it into the Al uprights by the door.

Word of advice. Don't trust anything that the government tells you. ;-)

I recently built a GTM for a Canadian customer. He built the car to go-kart stage and then hauled it down to me personally to have me do all of the bodywork and paint. When crossing the border, he told the Customs agents exactly what he intended to do (bring the car to me, have me do bodywork/paint and then bring it back into Canada), and the border agents assured him that it would be no problem to do that. I did my job and he came back to pick it up, headed home and his GTM never did make it back across the border. He ended up sleeping there at the border while they tried to figure out what to do.....finally had to leave it sitting at the border in the car trailer and head home. Never did get it across the border.

Back