Funny story about a GT40

Own a business in El Cajon, Ca. I have this one customer that has been coming in for 11 years. When we first built my CAV back in 03? My customer told me a story of how his friend's older brother had a real GT40 street car back in the 70's. His brother went off to Vietnam and the car just sat in the back yard. He told me stories of how they climbed all over it, jumped on the roof, played inside, pulled the luggage out and threw it around etc. I always wondered what happened to the car.
Then about six months ago this guy comes in and notices a photo I have of my CAV. He tells me how his brother had a GT40 and they played in it as kids. I said...you must be friends with Mike. Yep. That was it. It was true. He sold it after he got back from his tours n Vietnam. Wonder what car it was and who has it now?

I couldn't find a photo but the Mark III street car had a longer rear and luggage bins with custom luggage fitted behind the rear wheels. You had to open the engine compartment to remove them and I bet they were pretty toasty being up against the exhaust

Guess I'm the skeptic here. Maybe the brother owned a Fiberfab Valkerie or Avenger? A MkIII in 1967 cost $18,500 which was a fortune for a 20 year old draftee at the time. Only 7 were made. I recall Mk I's being up to $100K by the late 1970's.

Guess I'm the skeptic here. Maybe the brother owned a Fiberfab Valkerie or Avenger? A MkIII in 1967 cost $18,500 which was a fortune for a 20 year old draftee at the time. Only 7 were made. I recall Mk I's being up to $100K by the late 1970's.

Not sure if there were any luggage boxes made for Valkyries and Avengers ...

Ian

Back